Chapter 45: Ends Meet

Life in itself is puzzling. You live your whole life trusting people, people you basically think are family, people you call your everything, and then as quick as a whiplash this mirage ends. All for what? Money! Lust! Power! Earthly joys that would stay behind.

We ponder on the ups and downs; the brutalities of hard life; yet stay confined and adamant to our belief system relying on the lust of wealth; and hence killing emotions.

The beeping sound of machines makes me wake up but my eye lids refuse to open. I feel too tired and weak to move.

I hear people whispering, talking but I can't respond back.

"I don't know what I'd do without her dad, she doesn't deserve the pain that she is going through, not one ounce of it. I-I couldn't even tell her, that I love her".

I hear my husband's soothing voice but my body doesn't respond, I want to wake up tell him that I love him too, but my body doesn't manage to cooperate.

~ Adrian ~
Its been almost two days since I rushed Ailey to the hospital. Her vitals showed that her body was responding to the treatment, which was a good sign.

When asked about our child, doctors had informed me it was too soon to say anything. I may sound like a grade A prick, but I wanted my wife to be okay regardless.

I sit beside her bed holding her hand as my father walks in. He has a solemn look. I stay quiet, there is no doubt he was the first one to have reached the hospital and be here for me.

"How is she?"

"She is responding to the treatment, but still very weak, doctors aren't sure what to say at the moment".

"I see".

"How did things at the funeral go". I reply, trying to put my facade back on. The thought of my mother's betrayal is still something too heavy and painful to wrap my head against.

"It's handled son. Don't let the pain of the past keep you burdened". My father replies trying to soothe the continuum of emotions I am feeling right now.

"I don't know what I'd do without her dad, she doesn't deserve the pain that she is going through, not one ounce of it. I-I couldn't even tell her, that I love her". I reply getting up and moving closer to my father.

"I know son. I know. I can't ask for forgiveness much from both of you, if only I had known what Emma was going through, I know I can't justify myself ever; but I promise to repent from my mistakes - forgive me son". He says as he looks at the ground broken and miserable.

I stay stone-cold. Unknowingly, an older version of myself wouldn't have cared what my father had to say. In fact I might've even asked him to leave. This makes me smile satirically.

"You know the irony of the situation dad, if it weren't for Ailey, today I might have not had the heart to forgive you or mother, but that's just the thing, this beautiful woman gave me something I will always be indebted to her for; the gift of resilience and kindness, her purity gives faith to me as well... ironically you both failed to do anything like that... which is why I forgive you... but this is the last you will see of us".

"What? Son, please don't do this... you are the only I have..."

Before I could tell him off, I noticed Ailey trying to move. Rushing to the bedside, I hold her hand, hoping that she would wake up.

"Ailey baby... please wake up... open your beautiful eyes".

~Ailey~

I feel Adrian's warm presence as his lean fingers curl around my hand. My entire body is sore from the pain. I slowly open my eyes trying to adjust to the light.