Chapter 41:The Dawn Of Another Conspirator

Walking into the beach house I feel lightheaded. My mind is wobbly from all the things that have happened. The text from that unknown number is another fear gnawing at me.

Reaching the kitchen I pour myself a glass of water to soothe my nerves. Adrian is busy in his office and I need to think things through. Aunt Josie preferred to write journals.

She was fond of writing the things that happened throughout the day. What if this all would make sense if I go through them. I had them stored up in rental storehouse near our villa. The major question now was how to get there and without Adrian's knowledge.

"Ailey? Why are you not listening to what I am saying?"

"What what? I wasn't daydreaming I swear?", I reply a tad bit panicked.

Adrian walks up to me with a stern look,

"There is a meeting in Washington. I really have to be there. I'll be gone for a few days. But Ailey. Promise you won't do anything reckless. No leaving without Cade. No secrets. Please. Be as mad as you want with me but don't hurt yourself".

He holds my face in his hands looking me in the eyes, and for once I sense something I never thought would be there in his dark blue eyes; fear.

Breathing in I nod at him a little bit relieved provided that he is leaving for a few days, dodging Cade at the mall and getting to the storehouse won't exactly be a diehard mission now.

Lost in thought, I am knocked back into reality when Adrian's soft lips touch my forehead and his warm fingers move away from my cheeks.

I give Adrian a small smile and assure him to stay out of harm's way. It is once he turns to leave I notice the exhaustion and pain he has. I want to hug him tight and stay in his arms, but not until I find the truth myself. If what Adrian says is false I won't hesitate divorcing him; defaming my bereaved aunt is for sure the last straw.

But all of this seems false. I know Adrian won't cross that line. But then again, I thought Evelyn was pure and innocent. And boy was I wrong!

The buzzing of my phone startles me and I look down to find another text from the same unknown number.

Tick Tock Mrs. Vittorio! Your clock is ticking away!

Good Riddance! I need to get to the bottom of this.

Two Hours Later

As Adrian walks out of the room with a suitcase behind him, I feel like a weight has been put on my shoulders. He looks at me and comes closer. I don't want him to leave. To be honest, I just hope someone else goes instead of him and he stays here with me, in our own paradise.

On the other hand, I need to find the truth and I know well enough with my overprotective husband none of that will be possible. He kneels down and sits I avert my eyes. I don't want him to see the welled up tears in my eyes.

"You sure, you are going to be okay". He asks lifting my face a little by placing a hand under my chin.

I look at him with concern and smile a little, its adorable to see how much of a baby he is being, nudging his shoulder I reply

"Yes Mr. Vittorio... I won't do anything reckless".

He holds my gaze and runs his fingers on my neck, pressing a kiss to my temple he gets up to leave. I feel cold and empty as Adrian starts putting his luggage in his car. The sadness that looms within my heart feels amplified now that I realise he is actually not going to be here.

However, it is what it is I have to mentally prepare myself for the worst-case scenario just in case. Pulling the curtains of my room a dangerous thought stills me, what if this is the last time I get to see Adrian, I want to make sure its perfect, regardless of the limited time we may have; even if our journey comes to an end, Adrian will always be a concrete part of my life.

I rush downstairs, skipping two stairs at a time, just as Adrian is about to get in and leave, I yell out to him.

"Adriannn".

"Jesus! Ailey?! Are you okay? Is there someone inside?? What happpmmmm"

I jump into his arms and kiss him. Tears fall from my eyes as the thought of not seeing him again hits me full force. Adrian's arms wrap around me and he holds me in place. Bringing his hand on the back of my neck he slowly holds my head and I part my lips a little. When the need of air becomes important I create some space as I rest our foreheads together.

Adrian looks in my eyes and I slowly look up at him.

"What was that for Mia Bella?"

"I- I just.... have a safe trip".

He let's go of his breath he had been holding in and kisses me deeply, this kiss is even more urgent, desperate and painful. It's exhilarating and beautiful at the same time. It felt like Adrian knew of the turmoil I was going through and he was weighing in his turmoil in this kiss too. It felt like he was equally as pained as I was. It was painfully beautiful.

"Ailey... I... think... I...am...falling for you".

He whispers between kisses and my breath hitches. He kisses me one last time, before backing away,

"Together or apart Mia Bella, I will wait for you".

And just like that gone. I touch my lips which feel tender and wipe my tears once more, as the car fades away in a distance. Backing into the beach house, I unpack my goods and get ready for a shower. The soothing hot water trickles down my back and I feel at ease.

Being left alone has made my mind completely haywire and despite being alone I feel paranoid inside my own home.
Wrapping my bathrobe tightly I walk out to prepare myself a good meal for dinner. Its when my phone rings and I feel a cold shiver pass down my spine, just looking at the caller ID.

Hey Guys! Can you guess who might be calling Ailey? And who would this new conspirator be? Leave your guesses in the comments below.
Also another chapter in the works! Will be posted sooner! Love you all. Byeee