Chapter 5: The Shock

~The Next Morning~

I woke with the small amount of sunshine pouring in from the windows. Still the tiredness hadn't worn off and I had the desire to spend the rest of the day in bed.

I wonder how Aunt Josie is. She had been really busy with the whole planning the wedding and all. I decided to give her a call after break fast.

Walking in the kitchen I realized the fact that it is Rina's day off, Adrian must be hungry, no matter how much he hates me, I won't let him starve. Maybe if I make him break fast we can start on new grounds and come off as friends.

Walking in the kitchen I opened the fridge and took out eggs and milk. I decided to make french toasts and cinnamon tea. It was my speciality and my mother's recipe. Whenever I used to make it I felt as if I was with her.

Finally just as I had taken out the last fried toast and poured the tea. Adrian walked in. He gave me a curious yet cold glare then walked towards the kitchen.

"Adrian ?" I called as he turned I mustered all the courage I could get and spoke.

"Mm.. Since Rina didn't come today I decided to make breakfast... I was hoping if you would like to join".

I paused abruptly feeling as if he wasn't even listening to what I was saying.

Adrian stared at me longer and then spoke with new found hatred.

"Didn't I tell you to not show me your face... Or try to interfere in my matters... Jeez Evie was right... Girls like you really are desperate ?"

Heaving a tiring sigh I tried to pursue him. "Adrian... Look I know you don't like me much... But maybe we need to get to you know start over... Reconnect... Maybe we can start off as friends... It would be good for both of us".

I knew this argument would be pointless he wouldn't care anyhow but i was willing to give it a try only for Aunt Josie. She had been so thrilled when I had called her. Although anyone could have noticed the weakness and illness in her tone of her voice she had been happy that I was married and now she didn't have to worry about me how would she know the miserable and tormenting situation I truly am going through. No one would because I won't hurt anyone because of this. They don't deserve it.

My train of thoughts halted at the brisk footsteps, as if someone was coming closer; lifting my gaze I looked up and my eyes evolved into big saucers, in front of me just a mere two to three foot away stood Adrian with a blank expression on his face.

"Well !! what are you staring at ? let us 'reconnect' with break fast". Adrian said in a sarcastic tone.

Nodding my head urgently I walked towards the table and served him the food, quietly I mustered enough courage and sat down beside him, a tad bit surprised that he actually agreed without much of an argument. I watched him pick up the french toast and take a bite, I was sure that he would definitely compliment it after all it was my mother's recipe but what he did left me in tears; as soon as he taken a bite he spit it out and stood up.

"You call this food ?? That is the worst... I don't even know what that thing was; more than that I can't believe I agreed to this... Take my advice and don't ever try to 'reconnect' with me hell !! You will surely poison me". He all but yelled while tears brimmed in my eyes, ignoring my state he walked towards the door and slamming the door shut gone.

Shaking my head and wiping my tears I got up and picked up the remanents and spare dishes.

~Three Months Later~

Numb. All I feel is numb. The white walls of the corridor keeps on gnawing and the rush of nurses and doctors mentally messing with me but all in all I feel numb.

Emma is weeping in a corner while Mr. Vittorio console her. I just stand there looking at everything but I feel as if there is no point of anything. My life has faced its worst... It has hit rock bottom and now there is no reason to stand back up.

~An hour earlier~
It was the usual morning with the usual taunting remarks from my dear husband while I prepared breakfast for myself. Suddenly, a thought emerged in my mind it had been continouos 3 days and Aunt Josie hadn't contacted me nor had she picked any of my calls.

Dread started to build up in my mind and before I could hyperventilate I picked up my phone and dialed her number. It rang and rang but no one picked up. I decided to call the landline instead but no response. Paranoia started invading my mind and I immediately dialled Alicia, a 18 year old girl who was my neighbor and one of my students whom I used to tutor. "Hey Ailey ... Where have you been... It seems like forever since we talked-"

Cutting her off I immediately asked the question that popped in my mind. "Alicia... Can you do me a favor... Go check on Aunt Josie... She isn't picking up and just please go and check"

"Oh sure". She replied and I waited impatiently on the line. Soon she returned and my fears increased up a notch by her reply.
"Ailey... You sure Mrs. Josie is home... I rang the door bell more than twice and there was no response... She usually opens at the first knock".
The phone slips put of my grip and without a second thought I rush towards Sebastian, he is my chauffer but halt just before reaching the door remebering he had left for the week to spend his time with his only 10 year old son.

Rushing back up the stairs, I ignore the alarming bells jingling in my mind and rush into Adrian's office. He had given clear instructions to Rita to make sure no one disturbs him while he is having some conference with a few of his business associates; I barged into his office while three new heads turned towards me and one head turned with those stormy blue eyes glaring at me with newfound anger, that showed if looks could kill I would have been already tortured and buried 6 ft under.
But somehow seeing my panic stricken state his gaze turned to a confused one.

"Adrian... Please you have to take me to her place... I will do anything... Aunt Josie isn't replying... Please... I would never show you my face again if you would take me to see her this once please". I heaved a sigh while tears brimmed my eyes and then noticed that I was clutching on his shoulder quite aggressively, slowly and hesitatingly I lifted my gaze up to his and was left speechless, his eyes were staring down at me with concern ?! Well that is a first,

"Mr. Vittorio maybe we should do this some other time, it seems your wife needs you at the moment". one of his client said.

and it was like a bucket of cold water had splashed Adrian, all the concern was washed away and there was resentment flashing back at me.

Grabbing me by the arm he walked both of us out and into his room. As soon as we reached his room he pulled me in shutting the door behind us and let go of me coercingly towards the bed.
"Ad-"

"No ! Don't you dare speak, how could you embarrass me like that... You think I will listen to all your demands just because you daddy's little princess..."

" I am sorry but Adrian my aunt; she isn't picking up the call... Please I have to go and see her... She means everything to me... "

"I don't care !!! "

"Adrian... Please... I have to see her ... I am the only one she has--"

Suddenly the sound of Adrian's phone broke the argumentative environment that was clouding us. Taking the phone out of his expensive black suit he pressed the button and I stood there impatiently. The look on his face confirmed something wasn't right and he looked at me again and then declined the call. Before I could speak he beat me to it and the next words broke the little hope I had built.

"Ailey... You're aunt is in ICU. We have to go now".