Chapter 2: The Proposal

Sitting in my room I am in utter turmoil. The past few months have my life to be in nothing but making it go through a painful downhill. First Evie decides to stab me in the back costing me an entire suspension from the internship program and the firm i wanted to join in the future.

And now Aunt Josie my one and only family member who took me in when my parents were killed in an accident she is the one who means more to me in this whole world got diagnosed of cancer and has very few months remaining. The thought of losing her breaks me more and I close my eyes to prevent from the distress I am feeling. My train of thoughts stops as I hear the doorbell chime.

The Vittorios must be here. They are the next closest thing to family, it was through Mr. Vittorio that I met Evie. He was her uncle and Adrian his son was... Correction still must be in love with Evie. Adrian Vittorio... The name itself lets chills shrivel down my spine. He was a good 4 years older than me but the saddest part was he never even spared me a glance. We were mostly tumbled together in certain events which my aunt took me in and which Mrs. Vittorio had either conducted or arranged. It seemed he only had eyes for Evie and Evie... Well she was too busy using him for her own advances and he was too blind to object it.

Hurriedly getting up I rushed to meet them. I always had this notion to meet the guests before being called to meet them. In my hurry i tripped on the last step of the stairs and went face down, closing my eyes I braced myself to get my nose broken but I never got to meet the floor. Instead I collided with something hard yet soft which held me by the shoulders and had worn this really beautiful cologne that could make any girl squeal.... Wait what ?!?

Stumbling back i looked up to be hypnotized in the eyes of Adrian Vittorio glaring at me. My cheeks blushing a shade of red I backed away more and looked at the violet pattern of my sundress which surprisingly was very interesting at that moment. I flinched from his cold glare and backed away. From the side I saw Mrs. Vittorio looking at both of us with awe...I wonder why.

Rushing past Adrian I ran towards Mrs. Vittorio who embraced me in a motherly hug. She was an undeniable sweet lady and my aunt's best friend. No one knew about my parents except for auntie, Mrs. Vittorio, Evie and Holder.

Evie had promised that she wouldn't ever leave me but time had shown how loyal and big her heart truly was.

"Hello Ailey... My my you keep on growing more beautiful every time i see you... How is that bookshop of yours going". She asked sweetly

" Its going great Mrs. Vittorio... I decided to work on selling coffee and cakes as well... You know a mini cafe like you suggested". I beamed

"Now Ailey... How many times do i have to tell you its not Mrs. Vittorio its Emma... Mrs. Vittorio just makes me feel old."

I smiled at her childish tone and decided to head over to the kitchen and help Aunt josie with the setting up for dinner. As I reached the kitchen Mr. Vittorio beamed at me while auntie fought with the roasted chicken that got stuck while she was taking it out.

Laughing at the scene I helped her with it and then turned towards Mr. Vittorio who wrapped me in a fatherly bear hug. The dinner was marvelous but i could sense something was up. The way Adrian glared.. Well that was usual but my auntie's look of satisfaction the Vittorio's look of glee and awe.

Clearing the dishes I walked in the lounge where every body was seated. They all looked at me and Mrs. Vittorio encouraged Adrian to ask away. I pondered at the fact confused at what he wanted to ask me. He walked towards me and his clenched jaw made me rooted to the spot. He was a mere foot away from me and my knees weakened as he knelt down and my mind and body went numb.

"Ailey Murrie James... Would you do the honor of being my wife... Will you marry me". His voice was huskier and now i was sure this is a dream but the more i pinched myself i didn't wake up.

"I umm..." I couldn't even form a word confusion and worry clouded my mind

"I said WILL.YOU.MARRY.ME.AILEY ??"

I looked over to aunt Josie who had tear filled eyes and without a second thought I rushed towards her. She shushed me covering my cheeks and kissing my forehead.

My head still in her lap like I used to do when I was young...she reasoned and pleaded for me to accept Adrian's proposal. The more she spoke and told me about her days being numbered and how much since I was the only family member around she wanted me to fulfill her last dying wish and marry the Vittorio's so she would be satisfied and not worried of any misery to be faced by me... So that I could be sheltered and protected.

She knew her pleas would no doubt wash away my reluctance and therefore made sure I agreed. Reluctantly getting up I wiped away my tears and walking towards Adrian I nodded my head in approval.

"Yes Ad-Adrian... I will marry you" .