Chapter 28: The Twin Sister

Waking up to the sound of a blender being turned on, I urged my self to sit up, Rina was busy in the kitchen, making a smoothie, seeing my sleepy figure she beamed at me with one of her kind smiles.

"Rough night kiddo? "

"Worst, rough days".

She laughed at that and poured a cup of her famous milkshake, thanking her I picked it up and decided to check up on Adrian, last night had left me with mixed up feelings. I wanted to look out for him, but knowing him I was prepared to get hurt. I didn't even know why I was putting up with so much baggage, but the sincerity in his eyes, the one I had become accustomed to was like a ship's anchor at sea, holding me in place.

I wanted to ask him about Elaine, his twin sister, I remembered her, we used to play along a lot as kids but then one day she got a scholarship to Oxford University and just like that left. That was the last I heard from her, then I had started my college in Michigan and well after that our once close friendship had indeed dissolved with the passage of time. Aunt Josie had often told me about how Elaine had met this guy over there and that just at the age of 19, they had decided to elope and wed, which had enraged Mr. Vittorio and he had made the rash decision of disowning Elaine.

A week later, Auntie had informed that Elaine had been killed in a car accident. The tragedy of losing a child for the Vittorios and a sibling for Adrian must have been hard, especially when Elaine was always the favorite child of the family. She was brilliant, beautiful and extraordinarily the perfect child. Adrian on the other hand was always considered the outcast, degraded by everyone in the family.

"Sweetie can you please take this coffee up for Adrian, I am already late have to go grocery shopping today". Rina said from across the counter, providing me with the perfect excuse to allow my conscience to live with, yeah Ailey you are just helping Rina, its not like you are interested in seeing your husband or worried about him, no you are just innocently getting him coffee... or likely just trying to find pathetic excuses to look more pathetic.

Rolling eyes at my thoughts, I shrugged and walked up to my room. I lightly knocked on the door, hoping to find Adrian still sleeping, a sleeping Adrian meant no fighting, no awkwardness whatsoever, but an awake, sober Adrian meant, to mentally be prepared for the worst outcomes possible.

Finally, I walked in only to find, the bed sheets all rusty and messy, while Adrian sat their all showered, dressed in a crisp white shirt with grey pants, busy polishing his shoes while his cell phone was tucked between his ear and shoulder, noticing me walking in with the coffee, he gave me a cold glare, while I stood there, frozen to the ground. "Why yes, darling, I would love to spend sometime with you, I still have to apologize for leaving you all distressed".

I didn't need a stamp paper to be told that it was Evelyn he was talking to, but somehow the idiot was reciting effing poetry to me while he was drunk. I rolled my eyes again. He noticed this and immediately declined the call and got up.

"I got you coffee". was the lame reply I could come up with. As usual, he ignored me and moved towards the closet for his gray jacket. Heaving a sigh I turned towards him.

"Adrian, are you just going to ignore me?"

He glared at me, then with long strides he was right in front of me making me shiver, seeing the look in his eyes. It was cold, ruthless, unlike the Adrian I knew or had come to admire and like.

"What do you want me to do Princess, act as if nothing happened, look at you, getting me coffee, so effing sweet!! It's not like you let an unknown man kiss you that should be a problem, its fine. You were right, since you can go prancing around smooching people why should I hold back right?"