Chapter 39: Not much of a best day

These last few days have been... peculiar, to say the least. (Y/N) has become obsessed with his training after the incident with Blake and Sun. He hardly sleeps at all and it even seems that Okui hasn't seen him take a single break for a couple of days now. His blank stare is just as worrying as the silence that surrounds the camp lately.

Still feeling guilty about what happened, Okui barely shares words with him. simply observing him from a distance, helping him train in his three-sword style or simply nodding when he calls out to her or asks her a question from time to time.

He's been like this for days and there is no sign of stopping. In turn, it has become easier to avoid Yang and the others. Although they came here from time to time, it was already much rarer to see them. The reason? Only they know. There was no time to dwell on it.

Today, following the previous days' routine, (Y/N) brandished his blades slashing across the wind at an extraordinary speed. His hair tied in a high yet short ponytail; his face, covered in sweat, showed him deep in concentrated, displaying along the overexertion and the dark circles under his eyes. Holding Okui between his teeth making his panting and fatigue even more evident.

As the swish sound of the blades echoed through the camp, the numerous memories of (Y/N)'s countless encounters with the Nargacuga ran through his mind.

A few days back

(Y/N) ran through the treetops following the monster's pace, once he was over it, he launched at it with Okui in hand. The monster noticed him inmediately, shooting a pair of its spikes at his direction. He deflected all of them succesfully twirling in the air at the same time he prepared to deliever a heavy slash upon the Nargacuga. The monster had no problem on jumping back to evade him, making (Y/N) to miss his attack landing and recovering with a safe roll. As he stood up, he shoot his dart towards the monster's head, in respone, it disappear from place leaving a black afterimage of it behind.

Knowing what would happen next, (Y/N) performed a td-raiz back popping into the air with a back full(360 back-flip). The line of white and red judgement cuts proceeding from the monster were just a mere inches under (Y/N)'s body as he flipped in the air. Appearing once again, this time on the air, the Nargacuga thrust the point of its tail towards (Y/N), who, just barely, blocked it with Okui's blade.

Due the impact, (Y/N) was sent to fly to the ground, bouncing off with a strong impact, and consequently, not having the slightlest chance to block the next attack. With its superior speed, the Nargacuga launched at him with its claw raised high in the air.

Present

Bringing both swords flush to the ground on his right side and raising them in a powerful slash, (Y/N) prepared his weapons for his next move. Turning Okui on his mouth by releasing and catching her with his teeth while spinning Tempus into an inverted grip. Using the inertia of his footsteps to perform a circular cut around himself before leaping into the air.

With the three blades pointing to the same side over his shoulder, (Y/N) twirled in the air creating some kind of saw motion, landing on the squat position with Hattori and his left arm extended behind him, Tempus in front and Okui in his mouth; the ground was suddenly scarred with a deep cut, result of his blades trace.

A day ago

(Y/N) vaulted over the destroyed tree obstructing his path, running quickly between obstacles and so on away from the monster on his tail. The Nargacuga jumped from tree to tree with an innate ease and nimbleness, quickly catching up with (Y/N). Luckily enough, before the monster pounced on him, (Y/N) slid under the space of some dead tree, gazing up to see how the Nargacuga's claw impacted with the rotten wood, shedding it into pieces.