Chapter 18: Men's duel

Arena

(Y/N) was watching closely the battle from his seat.

Jaune ran towards Cardin with his sword at hand, Cardin had his mace on his shoulder and a smug smile drawn in his face.

Jaune went for a vertical slash, Cardin easily side stepped it while swinging his mace towards his legs, making him to flew across the arena falling to the ground.

(Y/N): Uhm....

Jaune slowly got back to his feet using his sword as support.

He turned around charging at Cardin going for another attack, and like the one of before, Cardin easily side step him answering Jaune with a swing of his mace towards his chest, knocking him out.

Jaune, for another time, stood up charging once more at Cardin.

Okui: Wow, you have to give him points for endurance.

(Y/N): This is just....

Jaune tried again with another slash towards Cardin, who easily blocked it with the handle of his mace.

Cardin: This is the part where you lose...

Jaune: Over my dead--

Cardin knee Jaune in his "lower Jaune" making him to release his weapon falling to the ground.

Okui: Frustating? Mediocre? Uninteresting? Unfullfilling? Unsatisfying? Distateful?

(Y/N): .....Yeah

Cardin was about to give Jaune the last blow until a buzzing was heard.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough...

The lights turned on after some buzzing.

Glynda adressed the other students.

Glynda: Students, as you can see....Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red zone....In a tournament style duel. This would indicate that Mr. Arc is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match.....

(Y/N): Tch....Is this the standard level of the students in this school...?

(Y/N) clinched his fist.

Glynda: *to Jaune* Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now, please try to refer your scroll during combat; gauging your aura will help you to decide when its appropiate to attack or when it's better to move to a more......defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled by a beowolf now would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself...

As (Y/N) watched Jaune still on the ground, he felt certain anger building up.

(Y/N): This is.......what the exschool of my father has to offer....?!

Okui: (Y/N)........it hurts....

(Y/N)  clinched firmly his arm with his free hand trying to calm himself.

Glynda: We have time for another match, does any--

Without thinking it twice, (Y/N) stood up before walking towards the arena.

Glynda: Oh....Mr. Kurogane....volunteering I see...

(Y/N): ...

Cardin left a small chukle before adressing (Y/N).

Cardin: Don't get cocky you freak......you just won the first round because you took me with the guard down.

(Y/N) stop walking the moment he got in front of Cardin, giving him a murderous glare.

Cardin: ....It won't happen twice...