Chapter 50: Invasion

Yūgen

(Y/N) remained cold in his feet, still astonished by what he could observe behind the rift that served as a window to another reality.

Edward: This fight is utterly futile, (Y/N)....All this 'vengeance' matter is like a no-ending run in circles... For us....and for you.

(Y/N): ...

Edward: You are pursuing a vague selfish ideal without the slighlest lead...What do you want to get out of it? Our forgiveness?

With utmost tranquility, Edward seemed to walk around the monocromatic gardens around the area.

Edward: Everything was taken away from us that day... Our families, our houses, all our history scorched among the raging flames.... But still...you were the only one who lived...

...

Edward: While we watched the grimms butcher friends and family, our very homes we lived in burnt to ash....While we fought with our bare hands...you simply ran away...

(Y/N): ....I was....just a kid---

Edward: So we were, both Jack and I... even weaker than the so claimed "son of the shinigami"....and yet...we stayed.

Giving a single step forward, Edward seemed to raise his voice.

Edward: Even if we were just children, even if our hands bled and failed in pain....we stayed and fought....Even without being true samurai, we lived by the code to the last breath.

(Y/N): ...

Edward: We fought against invasors with anything we could....Flooded with fear, rage and helplessness. We were the ones who fought with our wood swords until they break, with our bare hands until we could no longer move them....we fought and faltered...with honor.

(Y/N)'s lips seemed to tremble slightly, feeling the weight of Edward's words stabbing him to the core of his being.

Edward: We would have gladly give our lifes for you....but it seems the feeling wasn't reciprocal...

(Y/N): Edward, that's not---!

Edward: Silence! I don't want your worthless words...

...

Edward: I'm being too kind to you...offering this way out before someone else gets involved...

(Y/N): ...Don't drag them into this.

Edward: You were the one who did it. See where you are now...If all this damned strife continues, something will inevitably happen to them.....and it'll all be your fault.

Clenching his fists, (Y/N) could only lower his gaze as he knew the truth of Edward's words.

Edward: Please (Y/N).... stop this before it's too late. No one has to suffer more than necessary.

Staring at him in silence, (Y/N) showed Edward with the glint of his eyes alone his remaining indecisiveness.

Edward: You don't trust my words... I can understand that.... Here.---

Prostrating his hand on Izanami's handle, Edward made a finger sign with his other hand. After a few seconds, (Y/N)'s right arm seemed to be enveloped in some kind of sheen, making him a little nervous; as it slowly faded away, (Y/N) noticed how the dragon's mark left by Jack's blade long ago was no longer there.

(Y/N): ...You...---

Edward: I removed Jack's mark from you...He definitely noticed it so I assure you he won't be happy when I meet him again...