Une Petite Fille part I

I arched my aching back and looked up to meet death in its eyes. Well, not really death since it was only a light bulb. A burnt out light bulb that is.

Breathing in and out, I pushed the ladder till it was just right beside the light fixture and braced myself to climb the sloping steps. Just as my foot was about to touch the first step, Tom called out.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Tom said very loudly behind me. I could already imagine the look of anger on his face. He always gave me that face now whenever he saw me doing anything that required me to climb or crouch. The one where his face turns blotchy red and his eyes squint at me.

"I was just changing the light bulb." I shrugged my shoulders and began walking up the step again.

"No you're not." Tom walked over towards me, pulling my elbow down so I could get off the ladder. "Especially not in your condition."

His eyes looked into mine and then followed down to my swollen belly. I considered myself early in my pregnancy, just short of 4 months but as an overprotective husband and future father, Tom made sure I did nothing.

"Oh, this is simple." I smiled weakly. "I can do it. No need to bother you for every-"

"No." Tom gently pushed me aside and began climbing the steps. "You're not to be doing anything dangerous for the next 4 months and will you for the love of God, think of the child inside you? Our child? My child?"

"Tom, I think you're being completely unreasonable because I am not that big and I can definitely still manage to do some things." I reasoned with him. My eyes locked onto his without even taking a break to blink. His blue eyes stared right back as if I would crumble any second now. And I would. "I'm serious."

"Really, how's your back?" Tom rested his elbow on a higher step with an amused expression on his face.

"Fine." I lied. My back was killing me from all the extra weight I had the joy of gaining because of the growing child inside me. "Peach perfect. Actually."

"You wouldn't mind then if we removed the cushion over there then." Tom flicked his eyes over to my fluffy pillow I used to ease the searing pain of my back that was resting on the couch.

"Why would we do that?" I shrugged and licked my lips. He would never dare touch my pillow.

"It doesn't fit well with the decor." He smiled, challenging me.

"Okay fine." I gave in, uncrossing my arms. "It hurts okay and don't touch my pillow."

"Only if you promise not to do anything dangerous!" Tom barked at me. "You always do things that make me nervous and as much as you think I enjoy it, I don't."

"Oh please, you're being too overprotective." I sighed and walked till I was right beside him. I looked up to his eyes, pouting my lips.

"But i'm your overprotective husband." Tom stepped down, taking me in his embrace and kissed me on the forehead. "How long now?"

"You just said 4 months." I giggled into his neck.

"I just can't wait." He kissed me on the lips and rocked me in his arms.

-------------

Tom was pacing back and forth between the kitchen and the living room as he read a new script he'd been sent. Considering we were meant to be staying in today, he was dressed rather nicely. He was wearing black jeans, a casual grey buttoned up shirt and a jumper. He was wearing his glasses which I love him wearing. He glance at me with an odd glance and smile, checking on me.