It's Time to Stop Waiting

I look up at him, looking up at him for hope, for security, for something. All he can do though is shake his head, and comfort my shoulder. "I am so sorry.." He whispers before walking out of the small dainty room, leaving me alone to my thoughts. I immediately get dressed, my movements slow, thinking everything out, trying to get my mind off of that

I grab my purse and get out of the room, meeting Tom in the waiting room. He looks at me, meeting my grave face. He sighs immediately wrapping an arm around me, kissing my forehead, beginning to walk with me out of the doctor's office.

He drives back to our shared flat, sitting in silence the entire way. I look out the window the entire time, holding back my tears. Tom occasionally looks over at me and sighs his hand reaching out placing it on my thigh as he drives, finally pulling up to our flat.

He shuts off the engine, getting out and opening the door for me, helping me out. He locks the car, walking with me up to the verandah, unlocking the door to our flat. I slip off my shoes, my coat falling from my hands as I set it on the table with my purse. I walk away from then, walking towards our shared bedroom. 

Tom frowns looking down tears welling in his eyes. He immediately puts all of my things away as well as his own, going into the bedroom then. He watches me from the doorway, watching as you lay there, completely in silence, still in your clothing. He watches me grip onto the sheets, as if they were the only thing holding myself together here anymore. 

He says nothing, taking a few steps forward and crawling into bed behind me, his arms wrapping around my waist. A sob lodges in my throat, tears welling in my eyes. I was so strong. But not anymore. I couldn't fight it anymore.

The sob finally escaped, and I immediately turn around burying my face in his chest. I scream my heart out, sobbing hysterically, blabbering over and over to him, clinging to him. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I can't. I love you..." I sob, sniffling.

Tom let me cling to him, saying nothing in response. He held me tight, kissing my forehead, gently stroking my hair and rubbing my back. "It will be alright. I'm here. We'll fight this, don't worry." He whispered softly holding back his own sob. I shivered in his arms, soon passing out, my body not being able to take it anymore. "I'm so sorry.." Tom whispered as I slept in his arms. He watched me as I slept, memorising each little freckles and each little imperfection that he loved so dearly.

------------------------------

Several days later I returned to the hospital, Tom staying by my bedside the entire time. He held my hand, speaking to me the entire time, telling me funny stories, trying to keep me with him. I also try to keep myself with him while I still can. Never once did he break down. Not in front of me. He squeezed my hand, I squeezed his back weakly, he's watching me. My eyes made contact with him. I try my best to remember his deep blue eyes. Even though it's red and there's tears welling up, he still looks handsome. 

I bring my hand to his face slowly and closed my eyes, trying to memorise his face by heart. When I finished, I open mine and he opened his. He smiled and I smiled back, trying to remember every tiny details of his soul. "I'll be waiting on the other side for you." I said.  He lifts my hand and kissed it. "I know you will." I tried not to drift away but it's too hard. "Hey," he said, his voice starting to break. "It's okay, let it go. I'll be with you very soon, I promise. I'll be there with you. I love you."

Soon he was alone. He stopped talking, my name stuck in his throat. He broke down then, he cried over me, sobbing, clinging to my lifeless body, as if this time he was the one who could disappear without holding onto anything. 

Years later he went back to my grave, smiling down at it weakly. He kneeled down, placing the fresh flowers he had ordered, specifically for me. "Hey again, I've missed you." He whispered, tracing your gravestone. He sniffled slightly shaking his head. "I wish you were here. You've missed so much, love. We all miss you, and I think it's time for you to stop waiting. Because I will be there very soon." He whispered and  tears beginning to slowly steam down his face. 

"I love you so much my darling girl. You will always be in my heart." He whispered standing once more, taking a look at your grave and patting it slightly, his hand dragging along the cold marble. "I'm sorry." He whispered once as he walked away, head hung low, knowing that I'm only in his memory now.