Not One

It was probably nothing to worry about.

I thought to myself as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My shirt had been pulled up and rolled underneath my breasts so I could get a better view of my bump. After finding out that I was pregnant about two months ago, Tom and I had been ecstatic about the news.

We stayed up way too late at night trying to piece together how our future child would be. What we would name it and how many English courses he or she was allowed to take in high school. We both agreed three would the maximum even to much of Tom's disproval. Now, looking in the mirror, a worried expression painted over my face as I continued shifting places and angling my waist to get a better view of the massive bump.

I've researched a lot after the first couple of weeks of finding out that I was with child and knew a great amount of information on pregnancy but in no way was I prepared for myself to grow so large so quickly. Pursing my lips, I tied my hair into a top knot on top of my head and walked into the connecting bedroom to see the man who caused me to balloon up like a whale.

With his eyebrows knit, a book in his hands, a deep concentrated look on his handsome face and dark framed glasses perched on his nose; it was hard to stay angry at him for long. He must have sensed my presence at the doorway because he bent the corner of the page, marking his place, and returned it to the bedside table, eyes already focusing on me.

"What's the matter?" Tom asked softly, peeling back the covers and stepping outside of the bed. Closing the distance between us, he drew me into his arms and I relaxed a tiny bit. The worries of my pregnancy faded when he pressed his lips on my forehead.

"Do you think I'm a big for my stage?" I asked curiously, pulling back to see a concerned look on his face.

"Darling, if this is about you being fat and not able to fit your skinny jeans anymore, I swear-" He rambled.

"No, it's not that." I shook my head, pushing him away so I could get some breathing space. This was too embarrassing to say. He might think I'm absolutely bonkers if I told him that my stomach was growing larger and larger every day. Of course, it is! You're pregnant. He might state. "It's just...I feel like I'm growing very rapidly and that really concerns me."

Tom placed a hand on my bump next, studying it like he was a doctor instead of an actor. "I don't see any problems so far..."He murmured. "But if you are worries, maybe you should see a doctor in the morning."

"You're right." I nodded my head, hiding back the few tears that managed to escape my eyes.

"Come here." He ventured, pulling me back into his arms so I could soak his thin cotton t-shirt. I felt unbelievably stupid for crying over a growing pregnant belly but the overwhelming amount of hormones were to blame. Ever since getting pregnant, I was happy in one next second, completely mad in the next and then crushingly sad after. It was like someone was controlling an operating remote on my feelings and toyed with me on their spare time.

The next morning couldn't come sooner. I had booked an appointment by leaving a message at my family doctor's place before I went to bed last night so I knew exactly when to wake up. The problem was that I had already woken up before the alarm even set off. The soft pelting of water running in the shower only reminded me of how lonely I felt in bed without Tom sleeping right next to me.

He had a full schedule ahead. Interviews, photo shoots and some scenes he needed to wrap up for his current project. Pulling his pillow to my chest, I inhaled deeply his scent and wished for him to hurry up in the shower to come outside and hold me.

But I seemed to have fallen back to sleep before he could. I woke up to the sun blazing down on my face through the thin curtains hanging on the wall. Groaning, I released his pillow and scoured our bedroom for any sign of him. Sure enough, he was gone. Tossing the pillow to his side of the bed, I manoeuvred myself out of bed and stopped when I saw a folded note right beside the lamp on my bedside table.

Everything will be okay. Call me as soon as you're done.

-Tom

Feeling a little better, I got out of bed and went to get ready for the biggest journey of the day. By the time Tom had arrived home, dinner was set outside on the balcony where the sun was just setting behind the rows and rows of townhouses in London.

We had chosen this place because of the view of Big Ben and the calm serene looking bodies of water to the far right. Green luscious leaved trees filled whatever spaces left, causing a peaceful retreat. I poured myself a healthy glass of apple juice on ice and sat down, waiting for him to come meet me outside. Not too long later, I heard the familiar roar of his engines parking and then the jingle of his keys as he unlocked the heavy oak doors and barged right in.

He didn't bother to slip off his shoes before pulling back the screen door to see where I was. Smiling brightly at him, my smile faltered when I saw the thin bead of sweat on his forehead and his eyebrows knit so tightly that I thought it would make permanent indentations.

"You didn't call." Tom stated breathlessly. "Why didn't you call?"

"I'm sorry-" I began but was immediately cut off.

"You worried the hell out of me." He pulled my hand and helped me out of my chair before bringing me into a warm embrace. "Don't you ever pull this shit over me again. Do you understand?"

"Yes, yes." I replied shakily, hugging him tighter.

"Is there something wrong?" Tom asked quietly almost as quiet as the wind rustling the leaves."I don't really know how to tell you this..." I began honestly, tears already filling my eyes.

"Whatever it is, we'll work it out. We'll find a way and we'll get through it together. I mean it-"

"We're having twins." I blurted, catching his wide eyed gaze and opened mouth.

"What?" Tom exclaimed, shaking his head and looking at me like I was some sort of wild animal. "We're-We're-"

"Twins." I nodded my head, wiping away the happy tears spilling down my cheeks. "I wanted it to be a surprise." I laughed, smiling when the corner of hips lips turned up. "Surprise!" I said quietly.

"Twins?" His voice trembled. "Twins." He confirmed with me once again. "So, I'm going to be a dad to two children. Not one?"

"Not one." I shook my head, giggling when he kissed me on the lips.