Surprises

I was tired. No, exhausted, that's the word. I even had stayed home today to rest. This past week had been hell and I had no guilt with starting the weekend a day early.

Unfortunately Tom had things to do, so he couldn't laze around all day with me. I remember how I had gotten up to see him off this morning and tried to convince him to stay, but he wouldn't have it.

"I have to go and do these things today so we have all weekend to do nothing. If I'm able I'll come home early, ok?" I pouted, but smiled when he kissed my forehead. "Now go back to bed, you took today off to rest and that's what you're going to do."

I groaned but turned around and headed back upstairs. "I love you!" I called.

"Love you too!" And he was gone.

Now it was almost four and I hadn't heard from him. Not a call, not a text, nothing. He must be incredibly busy to not even answer a text. I flipped through some TV channels, but nothing was on. I was still in my pajamas and wrapped up in a blanket.

Yes, this was relaxing, but I was kind of...bored.

I clicked the TV off and looked around the room. We need to repaint soon... Now I was becoming restless and as I checked my phone for the tenth time in five minutes I decided that the best thing to do right now was just take a nap.

Light leaked through the shades so I stood up and pulled them closer together and the room was made somewhat darker.

Crawling back under the sheets with my blanket I grabbed my phone and found the song that always helps me sleep: "Dollhouse" by Melanie Martinez. Strange, yes, but that style of music is just so soothing to me. I lowered the volume, then sat the phone on my nightstand. Before I knew it, my eyes were shut and I drifted off.

--------------------------------------

Tom's POV

It was after six by the time I walked through the door. It was nearly dark and the house was silent. Y/N wasn't downstairs so I slowly made my way up the stairs, quietly, just in case she was asleep. Our bedroom door was pulled to, but wasn't completely shut.

I pushed it open and sure enough, there she was curled up in her usual way asleep. I heard faint music playing, but it wasn't familiar to me. Curiosity got the best of me so as quietly as I could I moved across the room to where her phone lay.

I looked at the song, "Dollhouse", I had never heard of it or the artist. I didn't know Y/N liked this type of music, she was more of a rock or 80's fan. I smiled a little; I always loved it when I learned something new about her.

She can be so elusive sometimes it's hard to see her open up about things. I always have to catch her when she doesn't expect it. I sat the phone back down and kissed her head. She rolled over and opened her eyes slightly. "I'm home, darling."

"Huh?"

"I'm home." I repeated.

"Oh, ok." she slurred.

I left her there to sleep since I knew how hard of a week she had had and went back downstairs to find some food. I warmed up leftovers and watched some of the shows I had recorded throughout the week.

About 30 minutes later she came down the stairs her hair all a mess. She had on one of my old t-shirts and her polka dot shorts. She yawned before trying to talk to me. "How long have you been home?" she asked.

"About an hour. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, like a baby." she said as she sat next to me on the sofa and laid her head on my chest.

"Did the song help?"

"I think it was called 'Dollhouse'." I laughed.

"Yes, it did, but why are you laughing?"

"Because I never knew you liked music like that. It was a little surprising."

"It's calming to me."

"I'm sure. Have you read the lyrics? They're very profound. It's such an awesome piece."

"You're ridiculous and now you're making fun of me." She poked me in the stomach and I flinched.

"I am not! I just think it's funny that you of all people would listen to a song like that to fall asleep to."

"Well I guess I'm just full of surprises."

"That you are, my dear." I said as I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her closer to me, kissing the top of her head,