A Surprise

5 hours.

5 hours of waiting was child's play compared to the 3 months that I have missed him.

The snow outside came to a steady fall, blanketing the streets and parking lots in brilliant white. Normally I would love the first heavy fall of snow, when the whole city turned into a magical fairytale land, the sweet earthy and crisp scent of fresh air and pine trees would have me in complete relaxation and tranquility. But not now. Not when the snow meant that his flight was delayed 2 hours, plus the three hours before his initial arrival time that I took to get here.

I had a cup of hot chocolate nursed in my gloved hands as I waited patiently wrapped in layers of clothes with earmuffs and a scarf to match. I watched the wisps of vapour from the hot chocolate rose and wafted under my nose, as if they were consoling me, telling me to be patient because he will arrive any moment.

The airport was fairly crowded as usual, the laughter of people embracing their loved ones was now a norm to my ears, but as time passed, I felt more and more jealous of them. Kids hugging their fathers, husband kissing his wife, lovers in each other's arms, eyes closed and smiles gracing their lips.

I glanced at the huge screen that showed the arrival time, and then at my leather watch. The flight from Los Angeles had already arrived, but it's been 40 minutes since and I have yet to see an influx of passengers from the assigned gate. I strained my neck to catch a better look amongst the throngs of people in front of the gate. Families, company representatives, people with placards and kids running around, not to mention the few fans that knew he was coming home today.

3 months. 3 months of skyping, late night calls, text messages in between scenes and my lunch breaks, and yet, it's as if someone has partially paralyzed me, because surely the longing I felt for him during those 3 months was more painful than being partially paralyzed. I felt the hot tears pooling in the corner of my eyes thinking of the nights where he was unable to skype, thus leaving me to nurse my loneliness by myself.

The gate doors were opened and a handful of people came out. I elongated my neck, pushing a few people to get to the front of the threshold so I could see better. My breath was caught in my throat when he emerged from the doors in his white dress shirt a little crumpled. When his eyes landed on me, the fatigue shown on his face completely disappeared, and a warm smile greeted me. I felt the pricking of warm tears threaten to fall and I laughed as I watched him approach me, completely oblivious to the screaming of fangirls and the confused looks of strangers. I clapped over my mouth as I tried to contain the feelings that overwhelmed me.

I missed him. So much. Too much.

I ran in his direction, abandoning the cup of chocolate that has gone cold. My legs brought me faster, and as soon as I was near him, he dropped his baggage and caught me as I flung myself onto him.

I buried my face into the crook of his neck, taking a deep breath of his familiar scent as my tears fall and dampened his collar.

"Oh God, I missed you so much." I murmured. The low rumble in his chest gave me a sense of comfort, a sense of familiarity, it felt surreal to have him in my arms, to feel the sturdiness of his body, the rough stubble of his face as I cupped it in between my hands and to stare into those electric blue eyes that shows so much love and care for me that it wrenches my heart.

"I missed you more." He whispered and catches my lips into a sweet tender kiss. It wasn't until the dozens of cameras flashing that I realized we were publicly kissing, and as much as I tolerated Tom's nonchalance for public displays of affection, this wasn't one of those times.

Tom eventually put me down, and picked up his suitcase from the floor. We were escorted by the guards towards an alternative exit. I couldn't help but glance at him as we were ushered out in a hurry. It's always been this way.

"I am so glad to be back." He smiled, lowering his head down to give me another kiss.

"Let's go home, I'll make you your favourite dish, okay?" We arrived at the parking lot where a black sedan pulled up in front of us.

"That can wait, I just want to curl up with my wife and make up for the lost time." He winked and I felt another flutter inside my stomach. He cocked his eyebrows, a silly smile still plastered on his face. "You look different."

"Really? It must be because of winter. I love this season but it's a nightmare on my complexion." I brushed his comment off. The driver exited the car and had Tom's luggage placed in the boot as Tom opened the passenger door for me. He paid the driver, said his thanks and took over in the driver's seat.

"On the contrary, you look more ravishing than I have ever remembered." He stared at me meaningfully and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh bother, why are you so observant?" I huffed. "I was going to surprise you at home, but what the heck."

"I have to tell you something. It might surprise you a bit. Maybe." I said. "Well, surprise me," he said.

I took a deep breath and announced. "Tom, I'm pregnant." I couldn't contain my happiness. As soon as I said it, he jumped in his seat and hit his head on the ceiling of the car.

"Are you serious? I'm a dad?" He said in almost disbelief rubbing his head. I nodded vigorously laughing at his accident. He shouted in triumph, and leaned in to kiss me.

"How did you ever manage to keep a secret like this from me?" He held my face in his hands, peppering kisses on the corners of my mouth.

"I didn't want you to lose focus while filming. I had asked for Emma's help, and your parents took care of me in the first few weeks when I had morning sickness and just general nastiness." Giggles and laughter spilled from my lips as I told him everything that had happened in the 3 months that he was away. It was definitely a hard 3 months to endure.

"Oh God, I'm going to be a dad." He said again in awe, more to himself. His eyes watered and I felt a clench in my heart. He kissed me again and looked lovingly into my eyes.

"I love you so much. Thank you so much for being the mother of my child, and my wife." He said earnestly and I laughed, kissing him back.

"We love you more." I said, looking down at my covered stomach.