How We Sleep

Tom P.O.V

I woke up cold and disoriented, but then I realized why I was freezing. In the middle of the night she had pulled the covers all the way over to her side. In the dark I could faintly make out her shape. All curled up and facing the opposing wall.

I gently went to pull the sheets over so as not to wake her up, but as soon as I started tugging on them she rolled over and her eyes opened just a tad.

"Hmm?"

"Go back to sleep, sweetheart. I'm just rearranging the blankets."

"Tom go to sleep." she said groggily.

I suppressed a laugh. "That's what I'm trying to do."

Her face scrunched up in confusion. "Oh...did I wake you?"

"No, baby."

"Ok, well I'm going to sleep now." and she rolled over.

It may be 3 am, but I knew the biggest smile was across my face. I finished with the blankets and immediately began to feel warm again. I positioned myself so that way I fit into the curve of her.

We fit together like two puzzle pieces, granted she was just a tad shorter than me. I draped an arm over her in order to pull her closer and I felt her snuggle back into me.

My face close to her hair and I could smell the remnants of her shampoo lingering on her and the pillow.

I felt one of her legs cross over mine and I knew that she would be asleep within minutes now. This was how we slept when we were together.

With one arm wrapped around her, I noticed that the shirt she was wearing had ridden up so her stomach and waist remained exposed.

Her skin was so soft I had to keep myself from feeling more of it. I could feel sleep starting to consume me and as I my eyes drifted closed I leaned into her eye.

"I love you so so much." I whispered even though I knew she was asleep. Asleep or awake, she would always know that I loved her. 

-------------------------------------------------

Reader's P.O.V

God I loved Saturdays. When Tom and I got married I had only one rule: no one was allowed to leave the bed before ten. So far it had gone well. A few mornings he had protested saying he had a ton of things to do, but then I'd convince him that it wasn't really that much and he would stay.

Some mornings we slept. Sometimes we would just lay there and cuddle, but not once did one of us leave. That was, until this morning.

I laid with my arm gently wrapped around Tom's chest and sighed. The bed was warm and far too comfortable for me to ever want to leave.

February was a cold, harsh month and the extra blanket on our bed made a great defense. I moved my hand to lightly stroke his hair. He was still asleep. His breathing was slow and even. It was very unusual for him to still be sleeping. Usually he was already awake when I woke up. He must have been really tired from the past week.

I rolled over onto my back and stared at the ceiling thinking of how perfect these mornings were until I realized the all familiar pressure that comes with having to pee.

Oh no. I looked at the clock. It was 9:43 which meant I had seventeen minutes before I could get up. The problem was is that I didn't think I could hold it. I made a side glance at Tom who seemed to be sound asleep.

I could get up and go and be back before he would even notice. I tried my hardest to roll a bit further and further to the edge of the bed without making it move too much. I jumped when I felt a hand grab mine.

"Tsk, tsk. You know the rule."

"I have to pee, Tom," I pleaded.

"That's too bad," he mumbled. "This is your rule. You have to stick with it."

"Tom," I insisted. "I think you can make an exception."

He was silent.

"Come on!"

"Fine. Go. But then you get your butt back here and warm me up. That's your punishment for leaving early."

"Wow that's sooo unfair!" I said sarcastically as I got up and ran to the bathroom.

"I can make it much, much worse you know!" He called after me laughing.