Purple

Arellana was meant to leave in a month's time, and our flat became a flurry of activity. She was going through her wardrobe like a madwoman, tossing old clothes, trying on clothes she hadn't worn in a long time, purchasing new garments.

She revamped her toiletries, without needing to, but it was a comfort for her. She had so much nervous energy leading up to her leaving, involving her concentration in any activity helped her. After her mania of cleaning and reorganizing and purging some of her possessions in order to fill it again, Arellana resumed her natural excitable state with most of her time and energy at home focused on me.

I indulged her every whim, frenzy and fancy when we were together and she seemed calmer with the idea of being away with my doting on her. 

She was getting the constant reminder that I loved her and wouldn't forget her when she was away by maintaining physical contact, holding hands, sitting flush beside one another, my arm slung across her shoulders, her sitting on my lap.

Arellana was storing up the contact for her time away, and eventually she turned her attention to constructive outlets. One night we were curled up in bed with her between my spread legs. She was tinkering around on her laptop with her tour schedule to one side and a small world map I'd had mounted on the wall of my office on the other side. When she crawled in the bed with it, I couldn't ignore it. "Baby, that's my map."

"I know. I need it."

"What in heaven's name do you need with a map?"

"Relax, love. I'll put it back." I knew I would end up putting it back because she'd find something else to focus on. "I need it for something I'm working on."

"What are you working on?"

"It's a surprise. Keep quiet and read your book." She kissed me quickly before I could say anything more and she turned back to her laptop. Luke sent me a text earlier that he showed Arellana a few apps and websites for her to play around on, no doubt she was applying her new tricks. She was color coding something, googling, referring to her map, consulting her tour schedule, studiously and meticulously working on her task.

Tenderly I stroked my left hand over her back in a lazy pattern with most of my attention on the book in my other hand. I glanced a few times over her shoulder only to see a huge calendar open in a window on her computer. Occasionally she would lean back to kiss me or let her mind reset and recharge before she went back to it again. After two hours, I sat my book aside to wrap her up in my arms and peek over her shoulder at her agenda in front of her. "How goes it, love? Almost done?"

She clicked through a few more windows, sailing through quickly, hit the mouse pad with her middle finger with a flourish, checked Google once more, giggled and relaxed into me. "Done! Tom, I did a thing!" her tone lilted higher in her excitement and accomplishment.

I kissed her cheek affectionately, looking over what she'd been working on so diligently for hours. I snickered in her ear, "It looks like the Rainbow Bridge."

She tsked me disapprovingly, "But it's all sorted. I did a thing!"

"Okay, what did you do? What do the pink days mean?"

"Pink is within fifty miles from home and the possibility to come home and sleep in our bed."

"And purple?"

"Purple is within a hundred miles, slight possibility to come home." Her fingers interlocked with mine, resting on her belly.

"So blue... Blue must be too far away, no possibility of coming home to me." She hummed in agreement, squeezing my hands in hers and burrowing into my embrace. "You've got numbers in the top and bottom of each date. What do those mean?"