All Of The Stars

"But, isn't it amazing that after hundreds of years his work still stands?"
I smiled and rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see. This was probably the third time Tom has asked me that same question in the past hour.

Every time we got close to switching subjects he brought it back to Shakespeare. I'd say it annoyed me, but I'd be lying. It was nice to see him talk about something that made him really excited and happy. This was his passion and I'd be a terrible person to crush it.

We were out in the yard looking up at the night sky. Tonight was unusually clear and warm too so we decided after dinner to bring a blanket and a bottle of wine and get lost in the stars. The bottle was nearly empty and I could feel the wine's effects starting to take hold on my body. I was a bit giggly and Tom was just amazed. Apparently that's what alcohol did to him.

"Shhhh," I said. "Look at the stars." I pointed up and realized that I was aiming directly at the big dipper. "See? There's the big dipper." He was silent for a moment and I craned my neck to see why he was so quiet. He looked like he was thinking hard about something. It was dark now, but I could make out his outline. Even in the darkness he was handsome.

"When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars, and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun," Tom recited. I had no idea how he kept all those lines to memory, but I guess it was his talent. I also recognized the quote as being from Romeo and Juliet.

"You know I hate Romeo and Juliet, right?" I looked at him and he took his eyes off the sky to look back at me, his face pinched in confusion. I laughed. "You're surprised that I know that aren't you?"
"Kind of, yeah," he replied with a smile. "But really though he had such a way of saying things. It's beautiful and raw at the same time and he really understood humans as people. It's just amazing."
"It's also amazing how he made dick jokes sound so poetic," I said then broke out into a laugh.

Tom ignored me and pulled me closer into him. His fingers lazily grazed through my hair and it sent gooseflesh down my arms. I snuggled into him and we didn't say anything for a moment; just enjoyed the company of each other. I felt him press a kiss onto the side of my head before reciting more verse, this time from Hamlet.

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; doubt that the sun doth move; doubt truth to be a liar; but never doubt I love." I moved to where I was now hovering above him, my elbows propped up on either sides of his head.

"Is that your own Shakespearian way of saying you love me?" His arms came up and encircled over my back before pulling me down closer. I could feel his heartbeat against my chest and it was so quiet I could hear him breathe.

"Now you're getting it," he said before pulling me all the way down and closing the space between our lips.