Just a few more minutes

"Hello, stranger." I greeted my husband, opening the front door wider for him to step through with his entire luggage. An exhausted expression on his face, I could tell the nine hour flight did not sit well with him. Dark circles hung underneath his eyes that still managed to sparkle dimly in the hallway light when he looked at me.

"Hello to you too." Tom smiled, pressing his lips on my forehead, wrapping one arm around my waist, drawing me close to his warmth. I draped my hands around his neck and smiled. Oh, how I missed this. Meeting him halfway, I kissed him on the lips lightly, pulling back just before the kiss turned deeper than I wanted it to be. He needed a shower and a long night's sleep.

"Go." I stepped away from him, closing the door and turning back to a pouting Tom. "Go take a shower and then off to bed." I commanded sternly, pointing to the staircase leading to upstairs.

"Not until I hear about your day." He shrugged off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, bunching around his elbows. Taking my hand in his, I reluctantly allowed him to lead me the way to the sofas in the living room. It seemed to be millions of years ago since we curled up on the same sofa and watched a trashy television show. Sitting down first, he patted the sofa cushion next to him. I shook my head, biting my lower lip and giggled.

"Okay, but as soon as I'm done, you have to go rest." I kissed him on the forehead, running a hand through his thin blond curls, smiling when he hummed thoughtfully at my touch. I sat down on the sofa and rested my head on his lap where it always belonged whenever he wanted to hear about my day.

His fingers would play with my hair as he listened, commenting thoughtfully, giving inputs wherever appropriate. "Nothing much happened." I began, chewing my lower lip some more as I recalled my tedious day. "Woke up, made tea and went down to the shops to grab some chicken and potatoes for your dinner-I don't know if you're in the mood for eating but your plate is in the oven." I hugged him tight. 

"Let's see, I then finished my book and I know you always give me the look whenever I read a romance novel but I can't help it! I just really like the build-up and everything. And then, well, I cleaned the house, finished some work and made dinner as I counted down the last minute till you were-" I paused and look up at Tom. The gentle sound of his snoring broke my rambling.

 Looking up from where I was, I saw his eyelids were closed, fluttering as he dreamt whatever he was dreaming. I loved seeing him sleep. All his hard features seemed to soften whenever he shut his eyes. He still looked as handsome as he did while he was awake but the boyish features made my heart flutter all the same. I ran a finger along his jaw that could be used as a ruler, holding my breath and hand when he shifted in his seat. I didn't want him to wake up. I wanted to capture this moment forever. Yet, a side of me knew that I had to wake him up so he could properly rest. After all, a lumpy beat up couch could hardly be comfortable for someone suffering jetlag.

Maybe, I'll let him sleep for a tad bit longer.

Pulling a cover that was tossed over the sofa for decoration, I draped the soft fabric over him and wrapped another around me, succumbing to a light sleep.

Just for a few minutes.

I thought to myself as I slept next to him.