Being Serious

I am a cool, confident, and intelligent individual.

I repeated to myself inside my head for the millionth time since stepping inside the grand luxurious limo Tom had insisted on booking for the gala event we were attending. My stomach had been in complete knots, almost like one of those pretzels found in carnivals whenever they come to town for a visit as I looked around nervously at the familiar famous faces sitting beside me.

I wasn't too sure of their names but I swore I watched them before on the telly. In fact, I was absolute certain that the man sitting in front of me with gingerly peppered black and white hair was the man from the evening news on BBC one. I was just about to make a light comment about the terror happening with the economy when the little voice in the back of my head told me I mustn't as I would probably subject to myself to extreme humiliation when my tongue ties and I say something completely incoherent and have everyone gawk at me like an animal let loose from the zoo. Hypothetically speaking, that is.

"You okay?" Tom leaned in, placing a hand on my knee underneath the table and squeezed reassuringly. God, I loved it whenever he did that. How he always seemed to pay attention to me and know exactly when something was wrong. Also, from this angle, it was the perfect degree to see into his blue-green irises, glittering in the light.

"Just fine." I gave my best i'm-not-insane smile. Of course, if he could tell when something was amiss, he sure as hell can tell when I'm lying. Clearing my throat, I tried again, leaning closer towards the truth. "I'm a little nervous. Lots of people...Lots of famous people." I added lamely, looking down at my hands in my lap.

"It's okay to be nervous." He leaned in closer, allowing only for me to hear him speak and comfort me. My heart fluttered in my chest, beating rapidly until I was sure I might be going into cardiac arrest. After dating for a few months, Tom still managed to make me feel like a complete school girl crushing on her latest eye candy. "I get nervous during events too... Besides, they're normal people. Most of them are surprisingly very nice and charming."

Right as he leaned back to see my reaction to his news, he kissed me lightly on the cheek, flaming my skin and bringing all of my senses alive. I inhaled deeply of his scent, greedily taking in the spiciness of his cologne. He really perfect, wasn't he? I mean, besides the looks department, he was gentle, caring, and fiercely intelligent and he smelled amazing.

"Thank you for saying that." I returned a quick kiss on his cheek, straightening his thin black tie. I swore this man could have glued his tie in place and it would still wind up being crooked in a second.

"Tom!" A tall arrestingly beautiful model like woman approached our table, calling out his name in her shrilly joyful voice. "My, my! It's certainly nice to see you after filming last year. You look amazing as always!"

Always the polite gentleman, Tom got off his chair and walked around the table towards her, bringing her into a tight hug before letting her go and smiled. The beam across her face brought unnerving feelings inside me as I looked on. Was it just me or did she hold on a tad bit too tightly?

"It's good to see you too, Melinda." Tom chuckled airily, shaking his head as if he was recalling some amusing memory of them on set. "I'm actually here with my girlfriend." Turning slightly back to face the table, he looked over his shoulder and gave me the same heart stopping dazzling smile he saved just for me. "Rosie?"

I pretended to lift my eyes off of the stage like I wasn't immediately drawn to them two interacting with each other, playing it cool as if I was paying attention to the set up crew instead. "Hello!" I got off of my seat and ever so carefully teetered in my high heels, careful not to trip on my dress and extended my hand for a friendly shake. "Nice to meet you, I'm Rosie." I smiled, faltering a bit when I caught her forest green eyes narrowing their gaze towards me. I all but arched an eyebrow in response, not knowing how to respond to such attitude. Suddenly, I felt like she was sizing me up as her eyes scanned from the tips of my heels to the top of my head. I could practically hear the judgements she was making inside her head.