La Bise

Tom P.O.V

"Have you always been into the intellectual and in love with the studying? I think I did it more out of necessity than an actual desire for it. But then it sort of grew on me. I craved the constancy of it, the reliability of it, I guess."

She took a small breath as if trying to regain her thought process.

I watched her expression, her eyes swiveling from side to side, not really seeing the path we were on, but searching for more of the subject she was on.

I let her talk because she was fascinating. I talked a lot, but she put me to shame and I liked it. I liked her. She was different than others in university. A nervous creature to be sure, but posed no threat to anyone, only academically. Melody was smart and I respected her so much for that.

She perked up as a way of explaining herself attached itself to her consciousness.

"Like things were so bad between my parents at times that books became my escape. Reading Hugo, I knew what to expect, rich text, extremely detailed, paid by the word overwrought dramatics, but I knew what I was in for... you know? Predictable that he would break my heart on a regular basis with the details of a bench or a chair to back it up. My parents did too, but I never knew when it would come."

She was babbling like a rolling brook, and she made me smile. I could sense her nervousness. We liked each other a lot and had done for some time, having shared a literature lecture together. She could sit for hours on end in the study hall, face buried in a book, glasses pushed high up on the bridge of her nose, her hand brushing her long blond hair behind her ear repeatedly, more out of habit than necessity.

I once witnessed her finish a book while sitting there, and immediately turn the book back to page one to start again. More often than not, she'd dig out another book to pour over for hours. She devoured text as if it kept her alive. Based on her speech now, I understood her defense mechanism.

I slipped my hand in hers simply because I knew she was nervous. Piper didn't date much, aside from her novels. I found that irresistibly sexy, a woman who strove to improve her mind. In another fidgety gesture, she pushed her glasses up her nose again with her other hand.

Her palm was slightly damp from her anxiety but I didn't mind. I liked the contact between us. As her speech died away in the stillness of the evening air, I squeezed her hand in a display of solidarity, I hoped.

With more confidence than I meant, I said, "You don't need to be nervous with me, Pipes. There's no pressure or expectation. If you want to be friends and nothing more, that's fine with me."

She smiled and looked down at our feet, our steps in sync along the pavement. A pink blush colored her cheeks attractively. "I've never done this. I was always ignored, Tom. It's a surreal experience... wanting something for so long and then actually have it happen. I wanted a date every day since I turned fourteen, since I really understood boys were boys. Four years later, I feel like I should have more experience than I do."

"I like that you don't. You aren't jaded and you hold no expectation. Makes the expectation on me manageable, attainable."

She giggled nervously, her cheeks flushed with colours. "Um, thank you. I guess,"

"You're welcome." I took her for supper at a nice pub within walking distance of campus where we enjoyed fish and chips over a pint. I still found her thoroughly enthralling as I did prior to our date, maybe even more so. I was walking her back to her dormitory to ensure she made it back safely. "Will you allow me to take you out again?"

Surprised, she leveled her gaze to me, her eyes sparkling even in the dim light. Without a word, she nodded and sidled up closer to me. Hand in hand, she held my arm closer to her, and in that moment, Piper made me feel like the luckiest man alive.

In all my nineteen years, I'd never experienced the bubble of excitement inside. A bright burst of light that made me feel lighter, only it came from deep in my belly. I was smitten with Piper, and I liked that feeling.

"Yeah, sure." Piper said.

As we continued on our walk, she sighed audibly beside me. I decided to ask her, "Can I ask you a really weird request?" I stopped walking, halting her progress at the unexpected question. "Um, yeah. What is it?" Piper straightened her glasses and pull a fraction of her hair behind her ear.

''Can I kiss you?"

"Um," she muttered, unsure

"I hoped you would allow me to."

She was flustered, trying to explain herself under my confession. "I've never been kissed before, so I'm really nervous about it. I don't want to get it over with in the bad sense... more I want it to happen, and I'd like it to happen with you. I really like you."

I smiled down at her as I turned into her. Placing my hands against her cheeks, I held her face gently to mine. I didn't think she meant for me to do it right away.

Slowly, I lowered my lips to her, and placed a small touch along hers. Tenderly, I did it again and again and again, allowing her to become more comfortable with it. Gentle caresses of her pink full lips against mine encouraged me to go further.

Before I could pose the question if she was comfortable with a deeper kiss, she wrapped her arms around me, pulling me closer. Her body communicating that she wanted more. Slanting my head to hers, I touched the tip of my tongue to her lips.

Hesitantly she opened to me, welcoming me in. She seemed shocked that I touched my tongue to hers. The acceptance came rather quickly as she massaged my tongue with hers, her mouth opening wider for me. I moaned into the beautiful meld of us together as she claimed my heart as hers.