The Best Gift

I was pacing back and forth between the kitchen and living room with my wine glass in one hand and my phone in the other. Every minute that went past felt like ten and I checked my phone every thirty seconds just to make sure I hadn't missed a call or a text from Tom.

It was our first Christmas together officially as a couple and he had promised that he would definitely be home for it. The conversation we had nearly two weeks ago over the phone played back in my head.

"I promise, love. I'll be there."

"You better. I mean it Tom, do not leave me to fend for myself between your sisters."

"I thought you liked my family!" he said surprised.

"I do," I breathed. "It's just–it gets overwhelming when I'm with them and you're not with me." I hated admitted my insecurity to him, but I knew that it would at least motivate him more to be here on time.

"Alright, alright." He laughed. "I swear to you that I will be there right with you when the time comes."

And now here it was Christmas Eve and I was in gorgeous red dress that I had saved months just for the occasion and no one to show it off to. Tom had called earlier that morning and said that the flight had been delayed again.

"I know, I know... The good news is that if this one goes through alright I'll be getting in just in time for dinner and presents at mum's."

I resigned myself to that fact, but now my hope was fading quickly. I sighed while grabbing another biscuit and popped it in my mouth and then made a quick glance to the clock. It was nearly nine and he was long overdue.

"I'm sure it won't be too much longer, dear." Tom's mum told you. "He wouldn't miss this for the world. He loves Christmas."

"I know." I replied. "It's just that I haven't seen him in awhile and this is our first Christmas together..." I started to ramble on and tears threatened to form but I bit my lip to keep them from spilling over.

"Why don't we go ahead and open up one of the presents!" She suggested. "It'll take your mind of it, I'm sure."

"No," I said tightly. "Not until Tom gets here."

I heard her sigh most likely out of frustration than anything. I knew I was being a tad difficult about the presents, but we could not and would not do Christmas until Tom was here.

I poured another glass of wine and sat on the sofa while I stared at the Christmas tree and all the ornaments that covered it. Some were obviously Tom's idea. I was 90% sure that the one near the very bottom was a miniature Loki. I sat there lost in thought just staring blankly at the decorations until I began to feel quite numb.

I was pulled out of my comatose state when I swore I heard a car door shut. I nearly ran to the front door and threw it open to be presented with what was probably the best Christmas present I could have gotten this year.

He stood there with his suitcase in tow smiling at me and before I knew it my legs had carried me all the way to his arms. My legs wrapped around his waist as he held me up and for split second I was surprised that he could hold me up.

I wasn't petite when it came to the height department and he would frequently make jokes that if I grew anymore I'd be as tall as him. I immediately kissed him, but it was short lived since I could hardly breathe.

"I missed you so much." I said.

"I missed you too, but can we go inside? It's bloody freezing out here."

I grabbed his other bag and brought it with me into the house. "Guess who finally made it!?" I announced.

His family came rolling in with their hugs and 'Merry Christmas'. I stood back beaming with a smile while I watched my boyfriend hug his mother and when their embrace broke I heard her say, "Thank God now we can open presents."

I gave Tom a look, but he just giggled and shook his head. As the rest of the family retreated to the living room to start handing out the gifts he pulled me back.

"I am so sorry I'm late." I started to tell him that it was ok when he stopped me. "So I got you something that hopefully will make up for it." I looked down to see a small box with ribbon tied around it.

"You are by far," I started. "The best gift I could have ever hoped to get this year. Just you being here is enough for me." I kissed his cheek and is face albeit tired, was still joyful as he smiled. "But, I'm sure that whatever is in this box is equally if not more lovely." I whispered.

"Oh we'll see about that. I am great about picking out presents!" He said as he followed me into the living room where everyone else was.

I smiled. "That you are, Hiddleston. That you are."