Starting Fresh

Woof! Woof!

I had barely made it down the stairs when my sister's dog, Bronx, ran excitedly up towards me, tail wagging happily behind him.

"Good Morning to you too, Bronx." I laughed, greeting the dog that was now trying to climb on top of me and lick my face, his own personal way of kissing people he loved.

My sister, Mia, was gone for a week on a business trip and had kindly asked my husband, Tom, and I to babysit him for the time being.

And since I loved dogs and especially, Bronx, I had eagerly accepted even if Tom frowned at how much attention I seem to take away from him and put it towards the dog.

I heard the faint hum of our song sang by Tom in the kitchen.

"You're just too good to be true...Can't keep my eyes off of you..."

"Someone is happy to see you." Tom commented, a sly grin on his face when he walked into the hallway and saw me with Bronx.

He brought the mug of coffee he was holding in his hand and sipped, watching me with those kind blue eyes by the kitchen doorway.

His hand slipped in his trouser pocket, a white pressed linen shirt, and a tie around his neck, he looked every bit of the desirable man I fell in love with.

Letting Bronx follow my step, I walked up to my husband, wrapped my arms around his waist, drew him into a tight squeeze, and kissed him his cheek. "Don't be jealous."

"I'm not." He grinned, clearly amused by the fact that I caught on he was getting sick of how I seemed to care more about Bronx than him. "I just think you like Bronx more than me." Kissing me on the lips, he held me for another second before pulling away to place his mug in the kitchen sink.

"Well, he does look better in blond." I teased, looking down at the golden retriever that settled by feet. His face resting on the paws of his hand, he laid on the cold kitchen tiled floor luxuriously, watching us with his beady brown eyes.

"Ha-Ha." Tom said and grabbed me again around the waist to kiss me once more. "I'll be back by eight. It's another long day meetings and run-throughs. I love you and don't you dare forget that." He whispered into my ear.

"I love you, too." I replied, absolutely beaming from the sheer amount of love I felt radiate inside my chest.

We looked into each other's eyes and held it there, allowing peace and love flow throughout our bodies. It was just him and me right now at this moment. Nothing could tear us apart.

The telephone rang just then, breaking our moment of bliss. Drawing away from my waist, he picked up the wireless phone, and visibly deflated when he heard who it was.

The smile on his face from earlier was replaced with a pursed lip frown.

Soon, he was replying in stern tones, something about meetings and times. Deciding to give him some space, I grabbed the leash hanging by Bronx's bed in the corner of the kitchen, and gestured to Tom that I was going to take Bronx for a walk.

Slipping into the warmest coat I could find in the closet, I hooked the leash around Bronx's collar, and stepped out into the backyard of our house.

After getting married, we had both decided to move to a more secluded area, opting to spend our time in the wilderness where trees and grand lakes surrounded us. In fact, a giant pond of water was in our backyard.

It was deep enough for birds and animals to swim in, and maybe humans too if the water wasn't so murky green. However, the evil bite of winter rolled in early this year, freezing over the body of water, and covering it with a light layer of white snow.