Meet The Family

Today was the day. The day the whole family got to meet boyfriend and I was a mess.

Tom had already met my parents, and when my mum suggested that I bring him to the family reunion I quickly went to shut that shit down, but Tom was faster.

'I'd love to' he said. So now here we were in the car driving to my aunt's house that was big enough to accommodate our family.

I decided to drive and Tom sat next to me in the passenger seat playing on his phone and ignoring my instructions.

"Tom!" I snapped. My eyes were still on the road, but I saw him looking at me in my peripheral. "Listen, please."

"Darling, it's going to fine. It's no big deal."

"Yeah, sure." My tone sarcastic. "it is a big deal because everyone is going to be there. My Uncle Jim who hates that I'm an adult woman, who does in fact bringing her date, will be there."

"My mum's parents' who complain about everything will be there...." I trailed off.

We rode in silence for about ten minutes before I spoke again.

"Alright, we're almost there. So ground rules. My Uncle Nate is a bit of a racist, so whatever he says just ignore it. We all do. My grandpa is nearly deaf so speak up if he asks you something."

"My sister and her husband will be there. Her husband is a bit of an ass, so try to avoid him. They have three kids: Piper, Jason, Rachel and Elizabeth. Rachel and Elizabeth are the babies, they're twins and they're five months old. Jason is four and Piper is six." 

I tried to think if I missed anyone. I covered the big stuff, hopefully that will be enough for Tom to get by.

"Got it. The babies are racist, your brother in-law is deaf, and your uncle is a baby."

"Tom," I deadpanned. "Seriously."
He took my free hand and squeezed it. "It's going to be alright."

"I hope so," I said I pulled up to the house. Seven cars were already there and I wondered who had already showed up. "Are you ready?" I looked at him.

"The question is, are you?"
I leaned over and kissed him. His lips were warm and his face smelled like aftershave where he shaved this morning. "I don't know." I sighed.

When I opened the door a herd of kids ran by screaming. I recognized Piper as one of them.
"Mum!" I called from the entryway.

She appeared from around the corner and wrapped me in a hug. When she let go and noticed Tom she pulled him into the same embrace.

"I'm so glad you came, Tom. It's about time you met the clan."
"That's what I was telling your daughter, but she seemed to disagree." He winked at me while I stuck my tongue out.

"She's just like her dad; worries about everything. Make yourself's at home! Grab a drink!" Then she addressed me. "And make sure you introduce him to everyone. They already know he's coming."

She went back into the kitchen while I took Tom's hand led him the other way. "Alright, let's get this over with."

As soon I walked into the living room everyone stood up and formed a line to greet the new guy.

I got separated from him at one point, but he was caught up in a conversation with my Uncle Jim.

Tom looked like he was doing ok, so I went to the kitchen to find my sister and a glass of whatever alcohol they had. 

My sister was leaning against the counter with Rachel on her hip. "So you finally brought him to meet the family?"
"Unfortunately. Where's Elizabeth? I miss that girl." I said while pouring a glass of wine almost to the rim.
"She's having a nap with Matthew. Well he's doing better than Matthew did when I brought him home." 

"He never gets nervous around new people. Well, maybe when he met mum and dad the first time, but other than that he has no problem. It's a joke, really."

"He cares about you enough to get to know your family, that's something."
"What do you mean?"

"All I'm saying," my older sister started. "Is that when a man is planning on sticking around he chums up to the extended family too." She gave me a knowing look.

I laughed. "Yeah, ok."
"I mean it." 

I grabbed my glass of wine and his, and looked for Tom. He wasn't caught in the crowd anymore and I had no idea where he could've gone.

I went upstairs and found him standing in my aunt's library. I cleared my throat to let him know that I was right behind him.

"When I mentioned I liked to read, she told me to come up to look at her library. She wasn't lying when she said it was...extensive."

"You're getting along awfully well with all of them." I offered him his wine.

"Thank you," He said, taking the wine glass from me. "I don't know what you were worried about. They're all nice and they love me."

"They love you because you're a new face. I promise you they're all chitchatting downstairs about my actor boyfriend and how someone like me could ever snatch someone like you."

"But what about me? How could someone like me ever wind up with someone like you? I think I'm the one who got the deal." 

I placed my wine glass on the table next to his and I wrapped my arms around his neck, and pulled him down a little until his nose met mine.

"Don't get all sappy on me, Thomas." 

"I've only been here for about an hour and I love your family. My family can be so stiff sometimes, but yours doesn't care about how loud they are. Now I realize where you get it."

He kissed my forehead before ducking under my arms. I didn't realize what was happening until it happened.

"I love you and I love your family. And if you would let me, I would love to be a part of it." He said while on one knee.

"Tom, um, what... What are you doing?" I laughed nervously.
" Y/N, I love you. Will you marry me?"
"I... Oh, my God. Yes. Yes, oh my God, yes. Yes!" I nearly knocked the wine glass on the table.

He jumped up smiling and pulled out a small box. Inside was a small, but beautiful diamond ring.

He placed it on my finger.

"Do you like it? I asked your sister what you would like and she said you didn't like big things, so I thought you might like this. If you don't we can take it—"

"No! No, I love it, I love it. I love you so, so much." I kissed him quickly about five times, before he took over and gave me a long one.

It said everything he couldn't and I knew he wasn't lying. When it ended we were both out of breath.

I heard a small noise and saw Piper standing in the doorway.

"I think we have company," I whispered.

Tom saw her and smiled. He immediately chased after her and she squealed all the way downstairs.

At dinner Tom made a toast and made the big announcement. The entire family went through and hugged him again and his smile was the biggest I'd ever seen it.

Later on though, when most everyone had left and the few who remained were sitting on the sofa's just talking and catching up.

I sat holding my niece, Elizabeth, and thought that pretty soon I'd have one of my own. My sister sat next to me with her own glass of wine.

"I can't believe you," I said.

"What?"

"You knew this whole time he was going to ask me."

"Even if he hadn't asked me for help, I still knew he would."

We both watched as Tom played with Piper and Jason on the floor. Jason jumped on his back, and even though I saw a hint of pain, Tom didn't stop.

"He's going to be a good dad," my sister added.

I smiled. "I know."