Just Us

I sobbed as I walked up the steps to a small flat around the corner of a cafe. Shivering because of the shower of rain that had ended earlier but managed to soak me.

I wiped under my eyes slightly and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before pressing on the door bell hearing it ring through the door.
I hugged myself as I waited, hearing fast footsteps.

The door opens and I look up, 'Y/N' Tom looks at me shocked, straightening his glasses before looking me over.
'Goodness, what happened? Come in, darling you're soaked! God, quickly change and get dry." 

Tom closes the door behind me and I walk to his bedroom. Tom was my best friend now for several years, I had a drawer of clothing in his room and he had one in mine because of our frequent sleepovers - though the pile has been getting smaller because of his traveling due to his career.

I heard a knock on the bedroom door before it opens slowly and Tom walks in handing me a large fluffy towel and my slippers.
I smile weakly and take them from him whispered a small thank you. I gulp as he leave, closing the door leaving me to freshen up.

I quickly undress and open my drawer putting on some loose black shorts, I look over my shirts before looking to a chair and seeing Tom's blue Burberry shirt.
I close the drawer and walk over to the shirt putting it on, slowly doing the buttons and deciding not to wear my slippers.

I walk into the bathroom and sigh as I saw my face covered in black smudges from my makeup. I cleaned my face and tie my wet hair up in a messy bun.
Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I glare at the puffy eye bags under my eyes, the red, swollen puffiness of my eyelids, my cracked lips and the my red nose and cheeks.
I ignored my chapped lips even though they sting like hell and managed to let out a few sentences. 'You're a hot mess.'

Walking out from the bathroom, I pick up my clothes and approach Tom's washing machine dumping them inside.
I walked towards the kitchen where Tom was finishing making his dinner, and sniffled, making Tom turn around. He looks at me, cocked an eyebrow and smiling slightly at my cold bare feet and raising both of his eyebrow at the shirt.

'Shut up, I wanted to wear something loose,' I croaked. 

He quickly raises both hands in defence and walked towards me, wrapping me in a tight hug, 'Darling, what happened? Tell me, what's wrong?'
He pressed several kisses against my temples and let me cry against him as he stroked me and hushed me. 

'He cheated on me, fucked a girl and dumped me. He told me that I wasn't good enough, I never was.' I choked back some tears and Tom tenses up but doesn't stop holding me. 

'He's a prick, a worthless dickhead. You don't deserve him and he doesn't deserve a beautiful girl like you. Anyone would be lucky to have you, darling. I'm very lucky I have you,' He said. 

'Thank you.' My lips trembling and his face frowns with concern. 

'Are you hungry?' Tom says looking at me, I nod and let out a smile, feeling slightly better.
'Right, apologies for taking so long, darling.' He chuckled and walks to the pot on the stove, stirring it slowly. 

I turn to one of the shelves and reach on my tiptoes to grab some bowls when I feel Tom's hands on my waist pulling me back, wrapping his arms around my waist.

I smile and snuggle against his warm body but he pulls himself away and takes the two bowls and begins putting the pasta into the two bowls. As he does so, I made myself a glass of water and took a couple of sips before following him to his couch. 

'Come,' He says sitting against the arm rest and stretching his long sweatpants covered legs across the couch. I sat between his legs and I turn on the TV, flipping through channels, finding an interesting TV show before resting my back against his chest and started eating.

"You're amazing, Thomas." I smile and tilt my head back against his shoulder and he presses a gentle kiss to my cheek.
As I finished my pasta and he put down his bowl on the coffee table. 

'Y/N, I know you don't want to talk about it, but what he said to you...' I frown and put down my bowl as well. My eyes welling up slightly but I swallowed the lump in my throat. 'Don't you dare believe a single word he said. I just want you to know you're the most amazing and the most beautiful person I've ever known, inside and outside - apart from my mother of course," I crack a smile at his comment and I shuffled to look at him better.

'You're amazing, you're smart, you're funny, beautiful, kind, caring,  and  you're truly the greatest treasure - my greatest treasure and I lo- I just can't get over how perfect you are, cold feet and fingers and all. I just can't stand seeing you sad and heartbroken like this.'

'Thank you Thomas, I really needed that. You're the best friend I could ever ask for,' I wrapped my hands around his neck and notice his face falter but it disappears in a split second so I gave him a small kiss on his cheek.

I yawned and rest my head on his chest. 'Are you tired, love?'

'A little, I guess. It's been a long-ass day.' I mumble and I feel his strong arms slide under my knees and lifting me up effortlessly. My eyes are so heavy and I can't fight it, I don't know where he's taking me, until I feel him lower me onto the soft covers of the bed in the guest's room. I look up at him and he smiles down at me kissing my forehead, tucking me in before leaving the room quietly.

I heard the tap running and assume he's washing the dishes. I lay in bed for a while trying to fall asleep. Unable to lay comfortably, I look at the bedside table and see the clock, 1am.

I sigh before sliding out of the bed and slowly walking to Tom's room hoping to find some comfort and warmth.
I sneak inside and lift the covers up carefully, not to wake him, slightly sliding in beside him, feeling his warmth radiate off him.

'Hello,' He greeted.
I shiver and shuffle closer to him and he lifts his arm reaching for me allowing me to cuddle up against him, burying my face in his chest as he kisses my temple before stroking my head back until I fall asleep.

Just before I drift into darkness I heard him whisper, 'I love you, so much you could never understand. I loved you then, and I'm falling even more deeply in love with you now. I never told you until just now, and I loved you too late.'

Except you did, I thought.

I kept my eyes shut and try to keep my breathing steady.
I never realise until now, how much Tom meant to me, and that night, I was slowly falling in love with him too.

I loved you too late, too.