19

"rooftop"

"How was the date, was it fun?" Niki smirked, nudging me in a teasing manner.

"Yeah, it was. We're getting closer." I responded reluctantly, i tried my best to sound enthusiastic.

"Are you lying?"

"Pfft. No? Why would i? I'm being honest, he's fun to be around." I quickly defended, hoping he wouldn't catch on. Yes, i am lying.

At bowling, hakun and i talked and it was more fun, but when it's just us alone... it's a bit awkward.

We were eating in my room again, his parents were downstairs and we were just hanging out for dinner.

"I'm gonna put my dishes away, you done?" He stood up and was about to take my plate after i answered.

"Me too, i'll go with you."

Living like this wasn't bad, not talking at school but being friendly outside of school. It was all fine with me...

On the way down the stairs, i could hear them talking about us.

"He'd always wake up early to play with her, then come back home with a bunch of bruises and scratches." Niki's dad laughed.

I slowed down my steps and listened in, niki turned to me and stared, "what?" He whispered.

"But it was alright with him because Sena would come and bandage him right up." They added, sharing laughs around the table.

"Ah, that's just Sena. Always treating Niki like the youngest~." My mom responded.

I walked down the steps, both of us appearing and putting our plates away.

"Oh, kids! We were just talking about you." Niki's mom said joyfully.

Taking the plate out of his hands, i quickly smiled at her before heading to the sink first, avoiding the conversation.

Niki took over, "what about?"

"Everything! You know... i miss those days when you two would run around our house, play outside in the grass and eat popsicles together." She was admiring the memories but it just made the both of us embarrassed.

I started scrubbing the plates faster, hoping to finish so i could go back to my room.

Even though we see each other a lot, we'll probably never be as close as we used to be. But whatever, it's not like much has changed anyway, he'll always be my neighbour.

Our parents always talked about our future as if it was the scariest thing ever, i never thought about it so it didn't bother me.

When i finished, i wiped my hands on my clothes and turned around. Niki was at the table, hugging his mom tightly from behind while she was eating, his dad was laughing at him and teasing him.

A weak smile formed onto my face as i watched them. They were happy but it was painful for me to keep looking at them. I don't know why.

I wonder what it'd be like if we switched places, not like i want it to happen, i'm fine as i am right now.

Sometimes, i just happen to dream about it.

Why'd i have the need to always baby him and take care of him whenever he got hurt? Why'd i treat him so kindly when he already has everything.

Two parents, a complete family.

What about me?

Sometimes i worry that the more i grow up, the more i'll lose memories of my dad. I won't remember the things he did for me, the way he lifted me up and played with me, blew bubbles while i ran after them.