20

"rooftop"

"You could've hung out with the kids in our neighbourhood instead of just me, but you didn't." Niki's chin was slowly dropping onto his knees that he was clinging onto.

Turning his head to her, she stared back at him.

"Wouldn't you agree that me coming into your life eased the pain of your dad leaving even a little bit?" He asked, he had a slightly tinted pink nose and his eyes looked bit watery.

She wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the stars and moonlight shining down on him, the only source of light outside.

The moon was luminous, so was he, always trying to cheer her up in dark times.

She definitely agreed, although she felt that loss was a bigger feeling than love, niki being there helped her get over her father.

What would she be like if he never moved in next door?

In her eyes, she believed that the amount of love she received was very little...

And the more she thought about it, she realized that giving love was a better feeling anyway.

"Niki." She sniffled, holding his hand, "thank you for being my best friend." She smiled.

Niki looked at her eyes, eyelashes wet and clumped together from the tears that were forming.

The stare continued, from her eyes, down to all her facial features. He couldn't look away.

Sena was beautiful.

Needing something to snap him out of his locked stare so that he could respond, a bee flew by just on time, interrupting his own mini moment.

The bee circled around the two, Niki stood up frantically, "S-Sena! A bee!" He yelled in fear.

The girl also got startled by his quick reaction, standing up slowly as well, she looked at him pulling his hood over his face as if that would protect him.

It flew away soon enough, the boy was still scared. Like a tall child.

A smirk formed onto her face, "Hey Niki! Look out it's right behind you!" She joked, he quickly ran towards sena and grabbed her before climbing down the roof.

When they fled the area, he stared at her with a frown, "not funny."

She laughed, "alright, sorry. Mrs and Mr nishimura are probably looking for their son. Let's go inside." She said formally.

Walking back into the house, they saw his parents putting their shoes on, getting ready to leave. Niki quickly ran towards them and did the same, looking back at Sena with a bright smile as they left.

When the door closed, she sighed

"Pfft, still scared of a bee?" She snickered to herself before heading to her room.

Before she could go up the stairs, her mom stops her.

"Sena hun, could i talk to you for a bit?" She asked, motioning her to come back.

Turning back and walking to her mother slowly, she asks, "about what?"

"I know this is basically a daily occurrence now, but today i felt like i realized something..." she started, "it saddens me whenever i don't notice how you're feeling sometimes, and i get afraid to ask. But, you can tell me whenever somethings wrong, alright."

It felt weird since she just had a very long conversation with niki while letting her feelings out.

Her mother brushed Sena's hair with her hand, "when i saw niki and his dad being so close, i thought about how we never spoke about your father. You've asked me many times about him, like where did he go? what's he doing? what does he look like now? And i've always avoided those questions because it hurt me as well whenever his name was brought up..."

Her mom exhaled deeply, "if you ever want to talk about him, you can ask me, i'm sorry i couldn't make us complete."

A tear fell from her eyes, Sena quickly wiping it away and replacing her own expression with a smile, "it's alright mom. I'm not worried about him anymore." She quietly said before hugging her mom then backing away.

"I'm not as curious about him as much as i used to be." She admitted.

Her mom smiled weakly, glad that it's not affecting her as much as it did before.

Before sena could go upstairs, she stopped and said one more thing.

"I mean, what's the point in missing someone that i know will never return?"

Niki

One day during our elementary years when we were near the river, we decided to skip rocks and seeing how many times it would jump.

Sena was really good at it, i hated how i wasn't better than her at skipping rocks.

When we were tired, we both sat on a big rock and started talking.

At school, i always wondered why her mom only picked her up, was the only one who would watch her in our school events like sports day and little class plays, not her mom and dad.

Just her mom.

Our teacher once asked us to write letters to our dads for father's day, i wanted to read her's but she wouldn't let me.

Then she handed it in and as the teacher read it silently, the teacher began to tear up.

So, i thought i could ask her this time.

"Sena, how come your never with your dad?" I asked as i carved our initials on the gravel.

Patiently waiting for her to answer, i moved my attention from the floor to her.

A smile formed on her lips, "because he's on vacation! He'll be back soon, i just don't know when."

"What does he look like?" I asked, intrigued.

Her finger pointed at herself, "maybe like me? his hair is like mine, our noses are the same too, also our eyes." She laughed.

I began to look at each of her features, observing them carefully while trying to picture what her father would look like.

Before i could get an image in my head, she laughed, "just kidding!"

"Huh?" I asked, confused.

"... i was lying about him going on vacation. He's supposed to be visiting in another country for a month, well that's what he told me." She sighed while putting her hand on her chin, "i think he lied to me."

"Is he coming back?"

"I don't know. I used to sit near our front door waiting for it to be opened by him. It never happened though, so i stopped waiting." She paused, "it's been 2 years. Before father's day when he was supposed to be back, momma said he's gone for good."

We sat in silence while i processed her words, she didn't have a dad anymore. I wondered what happened.

I stood up, brushing the dirt of my butt, "Who needs a dad? You're still cool... and pretty." I held my hand out to help her stand up, "come on, let's see who does the most skips this time."

"thanks." She smiled.

I just smiled back and pulled her so we could go back to skipping stones, i wanted her to be happy.

Skipping stones in the water until it got dark was how we spent the rest of that day.

riki san huhu :')

sena u still want hakun when u have
this man right here?? 😒