Chapter 2

His voice was mystic and somber, my whole body shivering as it sliced the room like a sharpened knife. It made my insides vibrate in complacency, my breathing turning uneven as I tried my very best to push the soiled thoughts out of my mind. No one had ever influenced me like that; it felt almost filthy.

Like he would be touching me just by speaking aloud.

"We have noted that there have been several sightings of vampires near our borders. Especially in Quillios' territory."

He spoke calmly, lowering the lightened cigarette in his hand to the cup on the table. He tapped it until the tip of the tobacco wasn't smoldering anymore, smoke lingering up into the air. Everything he did seemed elegant, not a soul paralyzed in the room as they searched for the smallest detail in his body language that could tell them what he was thinking. Though he showed none, everyone craning their backs anxiously straighter.

The man in question waved his hand towards my Alpha, my light eyes following the movement.

"Yes. T-There have been major break-ins, which have been more than concerning," Celian voiced with slight wavering, the young Royal fidgety under the inimical gent.

"I've received a letter that d-demanded immediate sanctions on some of our kingdoms."

He finished, opening his folder to draw a white letter out. It had a dark blue seal with a design of three crowns. I knew already the content of it, my eyes turning back to the room. Many Royals had someone accompanying them; either a slave or a warrior. The difference was spotted quite easily, the slaves with no clothes and on their knees on the floor. Some of them were fed with pieces of cheese or bread, having to reach for them like dogs.

It always made me mad.

You didn't see slavery in Quillios' Kingdom, and I knew nearly everyone by their name. There were only around a hundred pupils in our small village, many of them much more open-minded than anyone here. It was our culture, safe in the huge pothole where people could just disappear.

You didn't enter it with no authorization, not if you wanted an arrow through your head.

Celian's voice cut my wandering thoughts short, my eyes flicking back to him. I tried my best to avoid the certain person's presence, though it seemed like he wasn't even trying to cover his scorching gaze that burned the side of my head.

"This shall be your only warning."

Celian stated, the sentence reverberating in the room.

"You are keeping five of my men captive, in the kingdoms of Kall's and Mirach's. We want them released, immediately."

The letter told, everyone's attention now on my Alpha. I couldn't tell you what I thought of the content in it; was it reasonable or not? I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are keeping prisoners, maybe even going as far as torturing them.

Celian lifted his eyes from the letter, watching around the table with a serious expression. "We are talking about provoking an otiose war by keeping those men p-pent."

He leaned back to the bench's backrest, my other hand rising to his shoulder. I knew that he was nervous about the situation and he needed some comfort, which I was always ready to give him. Celian and I knew each other through roughly, our relationship hundred percent platonic.

"That is quite a serious accusation" Alpha Diétrich spoke again, his tone now much cooler than before. My hand froze on top of Celian's shoulder, the irritation flaring up inside of me.

"Do I need to read the letter through once again? They want payments, otherwise, it's a much bigger c-conflict than what it is now," Celian's shoulder tensed up under my hand, mine squeezing him briefly before I let go.