Chapter 3

My paws rustled against the parched leaves that scattered the dead ground, many autumn colours being revealed from under the melting snow. The air was quite chilly, my black nose sniffing the air as I travelled along our border.

It had been a couple of weeks now, and all I could think of was the Royal back in Diétrich's Kingdom. Mates were supposed to be something sacred, something that only happened once in a lifetime and after that, you'd have to hold on to it.

Moon Goddess gave us everyone a mate; a person that was said to be the other half of your soul that had got divided by the faith. Mates were to love, cherish and protect each other; build a life together, and bear children to this world. Not everyone found their mate, but in case of rejection you usually found yourself another chance; unless you were the one to reject the other– then you were doomed to sickness and a painful death, all alone.

But either way, I couldn't find myself to be happy about my own mate; I didn't understand it. The Moon Goddess must've known that I hated them, that he was the last person whom I'd want to be with. But there he was, all for me.

I'd tried to adjust myself to his position and figure out what he wanted. Though there was yet another reason to be confused because I had absolutely no idea. He was known to be unaffectionate, uncaring. . .  so why was I his mate? He didn't want me; not like you're supposed to.

He could put me into his Harem, and enjoy me here and there amongst the others. Which he'd after all do; I mean there must be dozens of different omegas he could snack on. But either way, he couldn't ever learn to love me, the same way I couldn't; we were from completely different worlds, way too apart from each other.

It would take a miracle for us to match.

And the funniest part was that I had gotten a letter from him, or whoever wrote it for him. An invitation to some sort of social ceremony, beautiful squiggly handwriting in the middle of the blank paper. I had no idea what he had planned to do with that, but it didn't matter as I had not attended it and the letter was ripped into tiny pieces to the bottom of my trash can.

It was a foolish attempt, only giving me something to laugh for a day.

My head turned to the side, my eyes briefly taking in the wolf next to me. He was one of our pack members, his fur black contrary to my white. I believe his name was Stevenson, and he was a very honorable alpha male; old with grandkids and mated to a half-blood. I had done some scouts with him previously, and we had also trained together in the past, which is why I didn't mind his presence.

Some in my pack were still dubious and mean towards me, but I didn't expect much more either. They would try and pick on me on purpose, challenging me on various occasions in our weekly tournaments. But they'd never win, leaving the field with shame and growing anger toward me. I guess it was an embarrassment for the strong-blooded alphas to lose to a small omega, but I couldn't help the fact that they didn't know how to fight.

The wolf next to me barked out quietly, my ears shooting up immediately. He was watching into a bush next to us, crouching down to carefully inspect it closer. My guts told me that something wasn't right, and my head turned around; searching for anything that'd stood up from the surroundings. I didn't smell anything unusual either, my nuzzle turning back towards my fellow pack member, confused as to the reason why he was so curious about the simple bush.

The black wolf sneaked closer to it, his belly brushing against the wet ground. My body was tensed up much further away, the forest grown dead silent; not a single chirp of a bird's was to be heard. It made my warning bells ring out loud in my head, my nuzzle opening up for a commanding huff.