Chapter 14

"–lease no. . ."

"Stop, stop hurting me."

My eyes shuddered open, the sounds beside me waking me up from the light sleep. I was sweating profusely, a really heavy weight on top of me shaking like a fragile leaf in the wind, "Dad– s-stop. . ."

A plea was whispered against my skin, one that mimicked a cry of help. It was full of sorrow and pain, my alarmed face immediately snapping towards Leonel. I couldn't see him, but I knew based on his body language and the words he said that something was wrong. His forehead was boiling hot against my throat, his hands tightly grabbing to my torso.

"Leonel?" I said quietly and a bit worriedly, petting his head gently. He only trembled, his body flinching time after another.

"Please!" he raised his low voice, the middle of his phrase cracking by a sob. My head was lifted in a speed of lightning from the ground, a deep frown etching my sleepy features.

"Leonel, wake up" I reached for his ear with my lips, my hands ever so slightly shaking him from his waist. I was really concerned about his state, as I had never heard him talk like that.

Like he would be shattered, beaten and desperate.

I shook him with greater force, finally getting him awake.

His head was shot up with a sharp inhale, his cheeks littered with fresh tears. He was breathing raggedly, his body trembling in my lap even stronger. My frowning face was instantly in front of his, my hands lifting up to his cheeks, "Hey, shh."

I whispered, wiping the tears away. He seemed to be really confused, lost in his surroundings. I didn't even know if he recognised me at first, his half-opened eyes raking on my features with knitted brows. I was pretty sure that he was partially hallucinating, the fever so high that I doubted he was even fully present.

"You're okay, you're with me" I stroked his cheeks as a few other tears fell down to them, the black orbs looking at me through a thick glaze. The sky was turning red from the rising sun, the forest eerie silent around us.

Leonel's eyes closed slowly, a droplet of sweat climbing down his forehead, "Ez. . . zzyy. . ."

He mumbled incoherently, making me cringe. He definitely wasn't in a good shape.

"Shh, you should drink water, hmh?" I suggested to him softly, my fingers flicking the wet curls behind his ears. His head lowered back against my chest, his frame slowly turning us sideways. His tattooed neck was bit in blood, my own body not looking better at all. The smell of the blood was still apparent and thick, drowning everything else under it.

"Hmm" he only hummed, circling his hands to my waist. I turned my head around to search for his backpack, seeing it right beside my head. My own stuff had been left behind, leaving me without my own clothes or other equipment. Luckily the shirt I had been given was large enough to reach my thighs, and right now any layer more would literally suffocate me.

The man next to me was radiating so much warmth that even the snow under us had melted and sunk through the mud to give the crops more of their life essence, otherwise our surroundings full of the white crud.

I fished out a bottle of water after a good time of searching, opening the lid with a click, "Here you go."

I flicked the man's chin, getting his attention. . . somewhat. His lips gaped open as he tried to find the bottle with his mouth, and with my help finally getting to it. I tilted the bottle's neck towards him very carefully, tiny amounts of the water inside of it leaping down his throat. He seemed to be pretty thirsty too, gulping it down like he'd never gotten a taste of it.