Chapter 9

The large gates of the mansion came in front of us.

The atmosphere was dark and tense, all of us wearing serious expressions as the Kall's Kingdom's packhouse loomed over even the highest trees. It was made of black cobblestone, the windows grey and worn out. Everything in it just made me shiver, the sun hiding behind the clouds as well.

It looked like it would start raining at any given moment, a slight layer of snow already covering the ground.

"I hope it won't storm" one of the warriors mumbled under his breath while a tiny flake descended down to his stretched arm. My eyes flicked up to the sky, taking in the nearly black clouds; making his worries quite pertinent, "Would be a bitch to get back."

I adjusted the swords on my back, bringing their straps a bit lower. We had dressed up near the border as the mansion was right next to it, now everyone of us wearing something more presentable.

I had loose jeans with tons of pockets, most of them filled with either cigarettes or knives. My shirt was as black as the bottoms, buttoned up to my neck. The guns hang down on my hips, the katana hitting against my thigh.

I was more than prepared, anticipation squirming in my stomach.

Leonel was wearing suit pants with a burgundy shirt; the buttons opened all the way to his stomach; revealing all the glorious pecks he had. His hair was curlier than ever, frizzing up in the humid air. The other warriors were dressed into similar outfits as I was; black and simple.

The Alpha had various glimmering jewelries around his tattooed neck and arms, embellished rings decorating his fingers. He looked extremely good, and extremely rich.

I met his dark eyes for a second, the man plainly nodding to me.

He walked through the gates, I myself right behind him. The warriors took one on each side of him, two in the front and one in the back. It was like a circle around us, myself being the closest one to him.

"Ezekiel."

I lifted my eyes to Leonel as I heard his raspy voice call out my name. He glanced over his shoulder to me briefly, walking towards the mansion's big doors.

"You come with me" he said, myself nodding to him in satisfaction. I wouldn't like to leave my eyes from him, even if it was for one second.

After dozens of steep steps, we were finally in front of the entrance. The mansion was right beside the city, hundreds of stone houses surrounding it. There was also a forest that kept the place mostly out of the daylight, tall pines reaching the top of the sky.

It somehow fitted quite nicely to the crooked man that overruled this kingdom; it was just as much evil and dismal.

We were met by two guardians, both of them nodding to Leonel instantly. He didn't have to show the tattooed castle on his neck, free to just walk in with our escort. If it was possible for the air to be as sunken and rotten as the dead; it was exactly that. My lungs were clogged with the first breath, like there wouldn't be enough oxygen for any living being.

The ceilings were high, the laminated floors concealed by dozens of grey carpets. The walls were dark, and all the furniture was dark. The theme was just black, grey and brown; not a single colour to be detected. Chandeliers loomed over us, though not lighted up. Their crystals didn't shine at all, being just damp and dull.

"Krhm, Alpha Diétrich."

My eyes snapped to a small man, his posture the straightest and the most confident I've ever seen. I felt like his neck would crack in two if he tilted his head to the back even an inch more. He was wearing a butler's outfit, a nice and neat tuxedo hugging his lean form.