Chapter 21

"N-No!"

I grabbed on to Leonel tighter, not letting go of him even after reaching the safety of his room. It had been for a long time already, consisting of pure chaos.

The backyard of the Castle was indescribable.

Apparently, what we had been told, there had been only one bomb in the carriage. It was a relief, but we were scared that there could be more; dozens of warriors being sent to investigate the whole Castle and the town.

The casualties of the bomb were at least for over five; that gathered just after the fire had been put out. Now the yard was just a smoking barrel with blood and bodies scattered all over, the image of it haunting my mind.

I hadn't let go of Leonel, I hadn't agreed to let go of him. At first, he would've had to leave to do his duties as an Alpha, but it wasn't working as I was a crying and stubborn mess against him. So here we were, trying to get me to calm down.

The impact had just shocked me so much, and the blood all over. . . I had seen blood, but for some reason it was different from others. There were children screaming, the whole sky darkened. The neko that had fainted in my lap was even more terrifying; the thought of not getting him with me— would he be now dead, laying in the ground?

Luckily he was now safe, positioned in a room on the third floor.

But I felt like no one was safe right now, like Leonel or I wasn't safe. The danger had been right under our eyes, anything could've happened. It had hit me close to home, and I couldn't for the life of me feel content.

"Ezekiel, pup" Leonel murmured into my ear with a soft tone, gently tugging my waist to tear me off of him. But I wouldn't let go; I couldn't.

What if he'd get hurt?

"No!" I sniffed, gripping on to him even tighter. The other sighed in exchange, petting my head with gentle strokes.

"We need to get you washed up, okay?"

I shook my head to him, a sob leaving my throat.

I wasn't thinking rationally; I wasn't feeling anything rationally. I was simply  traumatized.

"I won't leave you alone, baby—" he tugged me at once again, trying to get my shirt off. But I didn't want to let go of him even for a second, the matebond between us making me react so intensely. I was pretty sure that my face was bleeding, and that I was in blood and smoke, and the shower did sound nice— but it didn't feel safe.

"Ezekiel, listen. Everything's okay now, no one's here and no one is going to hurt you" he whispered into my ear with his low and calm baritone, I myself shaking my head to him.

"W-Why would someone— do like that, w-what do they want?" I cried and hiccupped, not really understanding the situation even now.

"I don't know, I really don't. But Tristan is going to pay, I promise" he murmured to me as I continued to rub my face against his shirt, the man stroking my hair in slow movements.

"How do you know i-it's him? Why would he— what does he benefit from it?" I gripped onto his shirt, Leonel deciding to get me back to his lap.

He lifted me up, my legs being instantly wrapped to his waist, "He's a sick person, Ez. And I'll tell you everything after you've calmed down, hmh?"

I nodded with quiet sobs, grabbing him like I'd still be there on the yard. I was still hurt everywhere from the impact, but it was luckily fading away. The shock had hit me only after the explosion, now the effect of it now present, "I don't want to be here."