Chapter 22

AN

Starting with a question, how do you like the book? Happy reading❤️

I opened my eyes slowly, turning over to my side with a sigh. For a moment I had expected there to be another frame, but I was met with nothing but blankets and pillows.

"Leonel?" I murmured quietly, silence answering back to me.

My eyes were weighing down by sleepiness as I lifted up to a sitting position, watching around me with knitted brows. The room was empty and Leonel's strong scent far gone, indicating that his departure was a long time ago.

A frown etched my features, my mind already travelling with a speed of lightning.

Yesterday had been an awful day, the events immediately pulling my mind down.

The bomb, the explosion. That panic and chaos, the bodies and blood. It would make sense that Leonel had gone to work, though it still stinged a bit to not wake up in his warm embrace. The last night was spent very intimately, and it had been just what I needed.

I had gone so close to the line between death and life, and feeling alive and feeling his touch that way had been so necessary. And I think it had been the same to him, feeling me and making love to me because of the shock and intense emotions; emotions of possibly losing the other part of you.

But right now my heart was starting to beat faster, because I didn't know where he was. I gathered myself up from the bed as quickly as could, searching around for my clothes.

There was a neat pile of pajamas on the nightstand, my frown only deepening. I started to pull them on with dizzy movements, in my mind calling for the other.

"Where are you?" I mumbled aloud, sending the same message to him through our bond. There was no answer though, as if he would've blocked me out.

"Fucking idiot. . ."

I battled with my shirt as my annoyance continued to grow, grumpy of the absence of my mate. I still felt like I'd be in half-sleep as I walked to the thick door, opening it up with my whole body weight as it was so heavy.

I had to literally hang from it, dozens of curses being thrown into the air.

"Could even answer back to me. . ." I definitely was not in a good mood as I proceeded into the pitch-black hallway, basically throwing a tantrum because of his disappearance. He should've woken me up and taken me with him, not leaving me alone like that.

My footsteps echoed into the slim space as I tried to see ahead of me, only some outlines standing out from the walls and ceiling. It was interesting, how there were these secret passages and no one knew of them. It made the Castle even more mysterious; how many undiscovered things were there?

"Leonel!" I whisper-shouted just as the bookshelf came in front of me, looking just as it was on the other side. My hands lifted to it, trying to push it gently forwards. It wasn't moving an inch, now my ears pretty much smoking.

"Stupi–"

The bookshelf was snapped open like the door it was, annoyed and pissed off looking Leonel watching down to me with a scowl. It made me even angrier, my arms being crossed over my chest. The sudden bright light made me narrow my sleepy eyes, my form looking probably just like some kind of an ogre, "Where the fuck were you?"

I hissed out as I walked past him to the office, the table in the middle of it now consisting of hundreds of paper stacks.

"Working– what is it? Now's not the time Ezekiel." The other grumbled back to me, walking to his chair before crashing down to it. He looked just the same way I did, his clothes disheveled and his curls all over like he would've just risen up from the bed. He even had a small stubble, his eyes tired and exhausted.