Chapter 13

My body crashed to the ground; my fur immediately splattered with blood. The loud bang of the firearm had deafened me, everything being just a mess of ringing. My head had hit something hard, my vision shaking and blurred for a moment.

I had no sense of the reality, the memories from seconds ago coming slowly back to me.

"Go, go, go!" faint shouts could be heard through the incoherent sounds, bringing me back to the presence, "Help him!"

I lifted my muzzle up from the ground, the snow tickling my nose. It was as if I'd suddenly been pulled from under water, all around me coming clearer, "Keep him hidden!"

I felt a sharp pressure in my neck, a startled whine escaping my throat as I was lifted from the ground. All I smelled was blood, so much of it. And I knew that it wasn't mine, the strong scent of my mate nearly suffocating me. I was panicking, scared of what had happened.

I knew that Leonel was hurt, and I knew that someone had shot at us. But where was he?

I tried to turn my head back to see around me, but we were already moving at high speed. Someone was carrying me while they were sprinting, the trees flashing beside me. I was panicking and not familiar with the person keeping the hold of me.

Series of pained whines erupted from my mouth, telling the other that I was scared and worried. That I didn't know what had happened to my mate, I didn't know where he was.

What if it had been fatal? What if they left him behind?

I started squirming, trying to get out of the hold of the other wolf's. I could see from the side of my eye that he had dark brown fur, irritation flashing through me as I wasn't listened. The other only growled to me as a warning, keeping up the same pace.

Dozens of different trees passed us, those dying and parched. The ground gleamed under my paws, droplets of blood dripping down from them and wetting the snow with its red pigment.

I had had enough.

I couldn't just be carried away when Leonel was in danger; I couldn't just be bounced around like this. I needed to know if he was okay, and I knew that he wasn't. And this wolf was in-between me and my mate's safety.

I turned my head slightly back, a growl erupting from my throat. It was the very last time I told him about putting me down, but he didn't seem to think of it enough seriously. I didn't know if he didn't listen to me, didn't think I was smart enough to run on my own or if he disliked me; but either way, I was mad pissed. Only thoughts in the back of my mind were of Leonel, every cell of me screaming for his touch and scent. All I had in my hands was his blood that coated my fur, vibrant red sticking out from my white strands like a sore thumb.

And I was being taken away from the scene, with zero knowledge of my lover's well-being.

Someone needed to pay the prize, and that wasn't Leonel. So, naturally, I attacked the other wolf. My head was around in a flash, my teeth sinking to the left leg of the warrior's. His grip on my scruff stretched my skin open as I did so, drops of my own blood warming my neck. Though it was nothing compared to the wound that the other was going to have, a crack of his bone to be heard within the pained yelp as I bit down to him.

I was dropped to the ground in a second, the brown wolf rolling right over me. His weight was crushing, though it didn't last long. After that I was up on my feet, my panting form turning around. There were only trees and bushes, no one else to be seen. Not any of the other warriors; no one.

The panic grew inside of me, the hole in my stomach enlarging. I heard the other growl behind me, angry about the injury I had inflicted on him. But I could only glance at him indifferently, even bare my teeth to him. He hadn't listened to me, and he was no near my list of priorities.