Chapter 5

The sun was burning my cheeks, making them gleam in faint red as my feet hit the gravelly ground. Some small crumbs invaded my socks and flew to my sweatpants, dirtying them.

Everyone's separate fights had begun when the commence had echoed through the air. The wolf that everyone seemed to avoid was big and bulky, so most likely many were not capable of taking his hits. But he was also slow and lacked tactics, only leaning on his power. It was an easy fight because he was so predictable.

I could see all his movements before they were even carried out, his fists flying toward me with the speed of a snail's. My black strands were dropping down to my pale eyes, their presence in my vision not bothering me at all. I was watching the man in front of me, determined to approach.

My sharp features were concentrated, just enough relaxed to make everyone shiver solely because of the look of decisiveness on my face. It was the moment they realized that I wasn't going to be an easy one; based completely on my physics and omega-blood.

Hyrn, the guy with caramel hair and eyes flinched when I shot into an attack, my foot kicking him to his other knee. It was enough to draw a startled yelp from him, at the same time my body dashing to the hard ground. He lost a bit of his balance, making it effortless for me to grab his leg and flash from between his crotches.

I pulled the leg with all the strength I could muster, and the man fell face down to the ground with a thump. There was sand floating around him, dusting into the air and irritating my eyes. He seemed to be out of it for a while, so I straightened myself and heaved a breath in. It had taken a lot from my arms to pull him down, but with the help of my whole body weight, I now had only slightly sore muscles.

"Fucking bitc–"

I walked quietly to the reach of his head, kicking it with the tip of my steel-lined boots. His sentence was cut off into silence, most likely him going unconscious. A small smile danced on my lips, my eyes lifting up to watch around me.

The others were still engaging with their opponents. The rookies on my side made me feel rather cushy, maybe even impatient as I shifted my eyes to the veterans. Some were already ceasing their battle, many men either standing up or lying down on the ground. I threw in a wild guess that it was a rule to not purposefully hurt your fellows past a certain limit; our pack having the same regulation.

You were not to make the other immobile beyond repair; damage their spine or brains, nor to continue fighting if the opponent is down and defenseless. It was worthy of banishment, if there was deliberate hurting, or in some cases even execution.

Eye for an eye, but someone hardly ever died during practices; at least I haven't heard of one. But I knew that some had deep-rooted issues with the control of their wolves. It wouldn't take much to blow off one severe punch that would end another's life. I only gave what I knew the others could take or what I needed for a victory, but at the end of the day, the enemies and rogues wouldn't play that clean on the real battlefield.

Like the other day; the rogues didn't have their human side anymore, the wolf fragment being damaged by the loss of the other half too.

My eyes caught the dark-featured alpha's, Galem if I remembered correctly. He was just finishing up a fight with another man whose face was bleeding and another leg cowering under his weight. The current Head Warrior seemed sloppy in his movements, maybe a bit too confident about what came to his title. It was like it would be just another day for him; the prize already glistening in his eyes.

He had hard hits, mostly focusing on the upper torso of his contestant, not really caring if he got hurt in the process. He took every punch of the other one's without even flinching; something I had to give him too, it wasn't that easy. But either way, he was putting on a show from it; maybe even going as far as trying to humiliate him.