Chapter 25

The warm light of the fire revealed the suffering trees, my feet slowly taking me forwards. I was shaking profusely, my fingers so frozen that I couldn't even move them. The black strands of mine had fallen to my forehead, my blue eyes watching the surroundings tiredly.

I had spent a good moment near the pond, eventually calming down. Now I was only anxious of Leonel and I, if I had really hurt him. The 'I'm really sorry' was repeated in my head for the thousandth time so I'd be ready to say it when the moment came.

Still, I was hurt myself. Leonel had been quite cold towards me, which I didn't blame him for as I had yelled right to his face. I only hoped that we could make it up and return to normal. My other hand was pressed against my stomach, the possibility of having a baby weighing my mind.

I was just confused and stressed.

I lifted my eyes to the camp before me, taking in the several fires, and people beside them. Many seemed to be already sleeping, some still quietly chattering and eating. And speaking of food, the smell of it was heaven like.

My eyes travelled on every one of the frames, looking for the tall and stark Alpha. Though before that, I was met with a very unpleasant sight. And for some reason, it made me glad.

Ryan was laying on the ground with few people around him, them trying to tend his mauled body. His facial features were past recognition, so badly beaten that I wondered how he was even breathing anymore. And I knew that I had not done that much damage, only leaving one person responsible.

Leonel.

My eyes continued their search, one part of my stressed mind calming down. The injured wolf sent a new message, one that only strengthened the old one. No one was to touch or harm me, and based on the warriors' expressions, no one was to lie either. They all were pale, clearly avoiding every contact with the one sitting right behind one lonely tree.

I could see his legs sprawled out, his whole body otherwise hidden. For a moment I just froze in my footing, my heart starting to race faster. It was our first fight, or well, first fight that we hadn't ended immediately after. I was a little scared of how the interaction would go.

Would he still be mad at me? What if he'll just ignore me or tell me to go elsewhere? Because right now, I'd just want to eat and go to his warm embrace. I'd want to kiss him and hug him, hear some reassuring words.

We were to go on a dangerous mission tomorrow, after all.

I started slowly walking past the camp, trembling because of the coldness. My pretty tall frame got some looks, many simply ignoring me. I had had respect towards them before, but right now I had none. It was horrendous how they could do that, and if something, they needed to apologize to me.

The leaves rustled under my boots as I rounded the tree, coming across Leonel's still frame. He was leaning to the trunk, staring into nothingness. But as I came next to him, he lifted his black eyes to me.

I could feel my heart stop beating for a second, a thick pile rising to my throat. He had a blank face, nothing to be seen from it.

I got really scared, so scared that I nearly turned around and ran back to the forest. But I forced myself to stay put, trying to calm down by his tranquil scent.

"Come here, pup."

His gentle baritone washed over me as he patted his thigh, immediately making me sigh in relief. Thank God he wasn't pushing me away, nor did he sound mad.

But I found myself still on guard, my feet not moving an inch. My pale eyes lowered down to the ground, shamefully watching the pine needles, "I-I'm s-sorry. . ."