Chapter 7: The Predicament

Flashback

"Are you sure about this claim of yours. This is the first time I am hearing this." The emperor said.

"Absolutely, Your Majesty. It is enough proof that I am accompanying them." Clyde stated.

Lord Benjamin intervened the conversation "He is definitely lying Your Majesty. Just the other day the Duke said he won't be marrying anytime soon. He clearly said that he is not interested one bit on any girl at the moment." His voice gradually rising.

"Silence! How dare you intervene." The man with a deep husky voice retorted.

"Exactly. He said that because he already has his eyes set on someone else. And that someone is not from the empire." Clyde snapped back.

The emperor then chuckled lightly. "What a bold statement! Very well, summon Duke Sterling at once. If you are proven to be lying." He stared deep into Clyde's soul, for a moment the look on his eyes changed, "Well, let's just hope you are not."

The emperor ordered the chains holding the four of them be removed and they were ordered to retreat to another room.

End of Flashback

"Eren, are you okay?" Mikasa asked.

"Huh? I am perfectly fine Mikasa. You should probably look at yourself, just look at your wrists they're extremely red." Eren pointed out.

Mikasa looked at her wrists and saw the marks left by the chains a while ago. It was completely red due to her multiple attempts to free herself but thank goodness because there were no cuts in it.

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking." Mikasa shyly said as she hides her face behind her scarf.

"By the way Clyde," Armin suddenly spoke. "Are you sure of what you did?"

The trio's attention is now focused on Clyde. His actions caught them offguard, mostly Mikasa. Clyde said a while ago that the three of them are guests of House Sterling, though his claim sounds plausible, in front of the emperor along the other nobles and knights it is too weak of a reason. Clyde needs a stronger case to present in order to solidify his reason for defending them. Thus he said those words.

"Yes, I am sure. My superior entrusted you guys to me I have to make sure you guys can go back in one piece." Clyde reassured them. "I apologize for putting you all in the spot though. Especially you Mikasa."

Mikasa simply stared at him.

"But won't that get you in big trouble? I mean you claimed that the Duke of House Sterling-" Armin was cut off by a voice saying

"There you are!"

The three all looked at the man quickly approaching. He look identical to Clyde aside from his spiky black hair and his lack of glasses. While Clyde has a calm looking face, this man has a serious looking with an almost grumpy face. He currently looks furious though.

"Are you out of your mind? You know that His Grace hates those kinds of rumors! We don't even know who this three are and you already risked the reputation of House Sterling because of them?" The man said angrily.

"I don't have any excuses to give you Curtis. But I will surely take responsibility of my actions."

"You?," he scoffed at his response "You will take responsibility? Are you kidding? Because obviously His Grace will take all the responsibility! He has already a lot on his shoulders and you added more to it!" Curtis retorted back.

Apparently the angry man is none other than Clyde's twin brother. Both were orphans before being taken in by the Sterlings. They have great respect for the Duke, as they both owed everything they have to their family. No wonder Curtis was exasperated by his brother's foolishness.

A knight arrived and told the five of them that the meeting is about to begin. As they stood in front of the door leading back to the throne room Curtis turned to the other four.

"Don't open your mouths, you hear me?"

They all nodded. Curtis looked at Mikasa before he huffed and turned his attention to the golden doors in front of them. The doors then began to open revealing the people gathered inside.