Chapter 10: The House Sterling

The trio found themselves inside a grand carriage. It is huge, has soft seats and the design that adorned it was something that cannot be found even in the inner walls of the Kingdom of Eldia. They are currently riding on a separate carriage from the Duke. He said that he still has some business left to do and instructed Clyde to escort them back to the their estate in the capital.

As they stepped down the carriage, they were greeted with an incredibly large mansion, and an even larger garden. They stood their with their mouths agape as they scan the Sterling's estate.

"Why is this house so damn BIG?!" Eren shouted.

"The former Duke wanted it to be this big. But this is smaller compared to the main house located in the territory owned by the Sterlings." Clyde said nonchalantly.

Armin's eyes almost popped out of his head while he said "They own something much larger than this?"

"Yes!," Clyde said with glee "the talk about the estate can come later. Let's head inside."

The interior was definitely gorgeous. Truly simplicity is beauty. The designs weren't overwhelming at all, but it is still exudes what class they belong to.

Clyde showed them around the estate, but it was way too huge that they cannot cover the entire trip in one night. Afterwards, they were treated with a luxurious dinner, it feels like the Sterlings have a lot of money to spare because not long after they headed to one of the many common rooms to have some tea.

"All you do here is eat don't you?" Eren asked Clyde "We just had dinner now we are eating again!"

"It is customary to have tea after dinner." says Clyde

"Quit whining Eren. Here drink some tea." Armin said. The two kept bickering while Mikasa drank her tea. Clyde took notice of this.

"You sure are lively. No one would have thought that a couple of hours ago you three would have almost died in a foreign territory." Clyde said chuckling "But you have been extremely quiet Mikasa."

"Mikasa has always been quiet though." Eren said while he stuffs some food on his mouth.

Mikasa looked at Clyde before questioning him "Thank you for what you did. We are indeed grateful to you saving our lives back there," she pause, trying to find the right words to say "But I don't quite understand why that has to be the reason." She kept her eyes on him.

"As you can see, any other reason than that would have gotten you all killed. I might lose a few limbs, but thats about it. The Emperor would have pardoned you but after hearing that you were from the Kingdom of Eldia the weight of your offense increased tremendously. The reason why I chose that is because the Emperor cares way too much in marriages. I don't exactly know the reason behind that, but a lot of people got away with it as their defense. I apologize for what I have done but there is no other way."

"But the strangest thing of all is that the Duke quickly played along. I can't wrap my head around it, it was like he wasn't fazed at all by the fact that a girl claims she is her fianceé" Armin said

"I did not claim it though." says Mikasa.

"Ah right, sorry." Armin quickly said.

"You know what I am wondering as well. The Duke is on the calmer side of the scale. But, when it comes to marriage talks he is quick to dodge the topic, and would often get mad it." Clyde answered Armin.

"There is no use thinking about that, we can only wait to ask him anyway." Eren sighed in defeat.

After finishing the refreshments they were led to three different rooms, provided with clothes and all the accomodations they needed. Clyde bid goodnight to the trio as he went to fulfill his other duties.