Chapter 13: The Play Pretend

"It was months after we first met when
I saw her stood there among the crowd. I cannot determine what made her stand out. Was it how her hair gently flowed as the wind blows? Was it the small smile that graced her lips as she greeted the people she knows? Or was it her mesmerizing eyes brimming with determination for who knows the reason why? Perhaps the answer was all of it." Ethan said his next words facing Mikasa.

"And as her eyes found mine, it was as if I found someone whom I've been looking for forever. And I just knew that I'll do whatever it takes to make her mine. Or I'll go insane." Ethan said with a solemn look on his face.

Wow. Just wow.

Mikasa don't know how to react. The emperor doesn't know either.

Ethan kept his eyes trained on her, in the outside he looks like a man deeply and madly in love to this girl standing right beside him.

But on the inside, he is trying to rack his brain if the words he said where exactly as what his father had told him. Did he miss something? Did his words sound believable? Was he able to express it the right way?

The emperor cleared his throat, "I would have never assume you to be a hopeless romantic young Duke." the emperor stated, "but I'll acknowledge it. For now."

Good. He bought that. Or so they thought.

"Then it's time for us to have some tea." He said while standing up.

Seriously? Mikasa thought.

Ethan offered his arm to Mikasa, which she accepted. Ethan still kept his distance towards her as they both walked, and would often look at her direction to see if she was doing fine.

They went to one of the palace's garden to have some tea. During their walk, the emperor didn't ask them any questions related to their engagement. Instead Ethan and the emperor had small talks about the empire's state.

Mikasa didn't bother listening to their conversation, her eyes drifted from place to place trying to absorb and memorize the in and outs of her surroundings. But not until someone tapped her shoulder and said

"We've arrived."

Mikasa saw the landscape before her.

It was beautiful.

The garden was huge as it was a home to loads of white and yellow flowers that makes the garden look like its glowing.

"Is it to you're liking?" the emperor questioned her. It was the first time he spoke to her directly.

"It is, Your Majesty." Mikasa replied.

"This is where I usually spend my afternoons. The most peaceful garden of them all, but not as beautiful as the Empress' garden."

"Do they have separate gardens in here?" Mikasa thought. Then she remembered how the House Sterling had a huge garden but they were unable to see it. Her morning was cut short as well due to the sudden summoning. She wonders if Eren and Armin continued their tour, are they both doing fine?

"Miss Ackerman." the emperor called.

"Yes Your Majesty?" she replied.

"I couldn't care less about your background as long as you can make him happy. But why choose him?" The emperor asked straight to the point.

"Because," what would she say? She had to make up something, now it's her time to panic.

Look back to your memories she told herself, and among those memories, one stood out the most.

"Because he wrapped his scarf around me."