Chapter 36: The Ordinary Days

It was almost sundown, the trio were gathered together with the whole gang, the warrior unit was there as well and of course Petra and Oruo. There wasn't much to talk about so they needed a new thing to gossip. And as if on cue, someone entered the cafeteria that took everyone's attention.

It was none other than Levi and Hange. The pair got included on the team sent to scout the battlefield. They were ordered to look for survivors and leftover beasts. The ones included to the troop are Captian Curtis and Michael, Levi, Hange, Mike, Zeke, Pieck, Annie, some of the 1st Division Knights and the Commander himself.

"Tsk."

"What's gotten you in a bad mood?" Hange asked annoyingly.

"I'm not in a bad mood, and don't start with me, four-eyes." Levi retorted.

"Okay, okay, I forgot that thats just how you usually look." Hange said trying to suppress her giggle which made Levi look at her with a deadpan expression.

"Looks like their back." Petra said "I heard the commander himself is included on the mission, he really is a reliable leader isn't he?"

The others looked at her, they don't really have to protest against their statement, but it was just so sudden. From the information they have received, Ethan killed most of the beasts that they have encountered for the whole mission. He does it effortlessly, and cleanly, according to Levi.

They have been doing this for the whole two weeks, the said squad will leave early in the morning and will return before sundown. The job was relatively easy since all they really have to do is scout, observe the battlefield, and learn from the 1st Division. The others were all assigned to train and keep watch.

Another thing that was added to their routine called barrier vitality inspection.

It was already known to everyone that magic exists. Mana is an internal and external energy which is essential in using magic. Everyone has mana, since there is already an internal energy inside a person's body, but utilizing external energy is a tricky one. The whole empire has a protective barrier, made by countless mages throughout the history.

The barrier vitality inspection is done by Lady Eleanor, they were told that the lady studied at an Academy exclusive for Magic.

"You know, I still can't believe that magic exists." Connie said.

"Me too. These things are all new to me." Sasha replied.

But for some reason, there are people meant to be mages. Not everyone can be one. It is also one of the hardest thing to achieve on the entire empire, the mastery of magic. Though there are a few things you can do with your mana, such as sense other mana and enhance your body, using mana to perform magic can be done by the so called chosen ones.

There is also an information that says swordmasters cannot use magic. That is why Eleanor is a great addition to the team dispatched in the eastern territory.

"So Lady Eleanor is a mage huh?" Jean said.

"Its amazing isn't it?!" Marco said excitedly.

"Yeah, it is indeed amazing. I wonder when can we see her in action." Krista replied.

"Weeell, if you want, I might have an idea." Petra said.

The gang looked at her with anticipation.

"I heard that they will perform the barrier vitality inspection in the fortress in just a few minutes." Petra said happily.

"Where the hell do you get all the information?" Oruo asked.

"A woman has her ways." Petra said dramatically as she flips her hair. "Anyway, are you interested or not?"

Everyone quickly followed Petra as she led them towards the fortress.

It was said that the fortress is where the barrier is the most powerful. No wonder Curtis told them to take cover in there. Though past the fortress there is also a barrier, it is not as formidable as the one in the fortress.

Once they reached the fortress, the gang saw Eleanor, and standing a few steps away from her are Clyde and Ethan along with some knights. Her hands are both outstretched as she tries to locate any weakness in the barrier.

After a few minutes, Eleanor began to lower her arms and she almost fell down but was quickly caught by her brother.

"I would appreciate more if you do not overwork yourself." Ethan said.

"I am alright, brother. Just a little dizzy."

"Does this happen often?" Ethan asked.

"No, Your Grace. I believe it is because this kind of job is usually for a group of mages." Clyde was the one to answer.

"I am simply locating any anomalies, I am not trying to repair them. Also, the barrier is in perfect condition." Eleanor retorted.

"That's a relief then. We have already inspected even the ones in the battlefield, you can go back and rest. The rest of you continue with your watch duty. Thats all." Ethan stated.

The knights dispersed while Eleanor bowed and excused herself. As she passed by the gang they all bowed and gave her greetings in which she returned as well.

"Wow! I don't know what exactly she did but that seems pretty cool." Sasha said.

Everyone agreed.

"The lady inspected if the barrier is still intact."

They all looked towards the owner of the voice and it was none other than Ethan. They were all starstrucked since this is the first time they saw him up close and on top of that he is talking to them. They quickly bowed and apologized for coming here without permission, in which Ethan simply dismissed saying he would have done the same, especially in their case wherein magic is a foreign idea.

After a few minutes Ethan bid goodbye to the gang, but not before looking straight at Mikasa and giving her a small smile, in which Mikasa simply bowed in return. This didn't go unnoticed by Eren and Armin as they started to contain their laughter. After a while they all went back to their barracks anticipating what tomorrow might bring.