Chapter 14: The Time Spent

"Do you mind sharing with me who wrapped a scarf around you?" Ethan said as they were on their way back to the estate.

The meeting with the emperor ended a while ago, and though it didn't went as smoothly as they had hoped for, they were able to survive his test.

"Eren." she answered.

Ethan nodded in acknowledgement. I see the angry looking guy with green eyes, he thought

"How about you? Your speech back there, who was it for?" Mikasa asked him as curiosity filled her eyes.

Ethan looked outside the carriage, before answering "Those words aren't mine. It was my father's. He told me that was how he figured out he loved my mother."

Mikasa simply nodded.

As they arrived at the estate, Mikasa was about to look for Eren and Armin, but she suddenly remembered something.

She turned to Ethan and said "The garden."

"What about it?"

"I'd like to ask permission to see the garden."

Oh so she likes that kinds of stuff huh Ethan thought. He never really paid attention to the estate's garden, someone else has the task of taking care of it anyway. It's probably in good condition.

"You may." He said smiling.

Mikasa bowed before proceeding to look for the two. While Ethan was left standing outside as he looked at the girl's retreating figure.

Mikasa spent the rest of the day with Eren, Armin and Clyde who was tasked with taking care of them. They didn't even run to the Duke for their whole tour. Clyde said that there were urgent matters waiting for the Duke and since their return he has been cooped up inside his office.

Dinner came and they were informed of how the borders were closed temporarily due to some problems with the neighboring territory. Looks like there is a slim chance of getting back to their hometown at the moment. The details weren't disclosed to them, and even Clyde was unaware of the situation.

Mikasa thought about how long they would be staying here. It's not like someone's waiting for them back in Eldia.

Their stay in the House Sterling's estate went on for days which turned to weeks, months and gradually years.

As time passed they were able to adjust little by little to the lives of these nobles. Though they were thankful that they do not have to attend any social gatherings it made people suspicious of the Duke's actions, how can he not introduce her to the other noble ladies. But no one can question him. It was already known that Ethan is not exactly fond of social gatherings, and would only attend if the event was hosted by the Imperial family.

He once brought Mikasa with him as the Emperor insisted on seeing the lovely couple for the celebration of the empire's founding. He did his best to keep everyone from Mikasa which earned a lot of praise from others since it looks like he is overprotective of her, while the girl received looks of disgust and jealousy from the other nobles as she stood with the man of their dreams.

Many events transpired throughout the time the trio stayed in the Aelius Empire.

Eren would often insist on watching Curtis practice his swordsmanship in the training grounds. At first, Curtis kept on shooing him away, and would often hit Eren with the wooden sword which earned him a good beating from Mikasa for hitting his adoptive brother. Curtis was amazed by Mikasa's strength and began to respect her. But he still complained on how Eren looked like a creep as he hides behind one of the pillars. Though he is quite cranky he gradually became nicer to the trio.

Armin can always be found inside the common library, reading from one book to another. Being the smartest among the trio, Armin was quick to learn of how the empire was founded, what is the purpose of the four dukedoms, how their writing system though almost similar to Eldia was much more complicated to learn. He would often tell stories to both Eren and Mikasa to help them become knowledgeable of the place they are in, and he would also ask Clyde questions from time to time.

After Mikasa beat up Curtis, instead of him being offended he asked for permission to let Mikasa use the training grounds, alhough they cannot teach her any sword techniques as it was forbidden for outsiders to learn, Curtis was willing to spar with her, saying how she was gifted, and would often mock Eren for it.

Everyday Mikasa and Ethan had to eat one meal together, or take a walk together even once a day to keep up appearances. They would sometimes have small talk, with mostly Ethan doing the whole talking thing. She learned that Ethan has a sister studying at an academy far from here, she also learned that he just became the Duke, his uncle was the acting head just before he turned 18. Mikasa didn't talk much but Ethan said it was okay not to. But he told her if she needs anything he is here. And that he is willing to be her friend, since she is living with them anyway.

A year after their stay Clyde brought up slipping them past the border, but the suggestion was quickly turned down as the issue with the border escalated. So they decided to let them stay longer.

Everything was doing fine, every now and then they would try to think of how to slip them past the border but it always seemed impossible. If the Duke wants he can easily slip them, but Mikasa insisted no to as it can harm the House Sterling, they have already troubled them enough.

The Duke was then called for a mission and has to leave for an indefinite amount of time when something terrible happened.