Chapter 8: The Meeting

"Looks like everyone is gathered. Let's start the meeting." The emperor said.

Eren, Armin and Mikasa are standing between Curtis and Clyde. As Armin began to scan the people gathered, he can only think of how these people can decide whether to kill them or not. Good thing they were able to meet a few nice people. But was it really a good thing?

"Then I'll start," the man with the deep husky voice announced.

Clyde informed them a while ago that this man is Duke Heroux, one of the four dukes of the Aelius Empire. He has reddish brown hair that reaches up to his shoulders, has a big built and a scar across his face just below his red colored eyes. Clyde informed them that he is the commander of the Knights 2nd Division and has the moniker the Wolf. He is highly skilled in combat and is ruthless to his enemies.

"Quickly answer these questions and then we are done." He said "One of your men claimed that the Eldian scums who set foot on our Empire and assaulted Count Rufus' son are apparently your guests. Am I correct?"

The question is directed to none other than Duke Sterling himself.

The man stood a few steps away from the trio his back turned to them, they cannot see what expression he is making, thus they were pretty anxious, heck they don't even know what he looked like. The only thing they knew about him is that he is a well respected and powerful man who has the ability to save them.

"It is indeed true." He simply answered. Just by listening to his calm but firm voice saying those words gave them great comfort.

Mikasa eyed the man. She knows she isn't supposed to give him her famous glare or else they will be suspected of lying. To be completely honest, Mikasa would rather fight these people head on just so they can escape, but aside from her fists she doesn't have anything else that can help them fight, stealing one of these guys' sword would suffice but she cannot afford Eren and Armin getting hurt.

She was dead set on disagreeing with the idea but she saw Armin's pleading eyes. As if saying that this is the only way for them to live.

They were able to surpass the first question with great ease, but who in their right mind would say yes to the second one? Mikasa could only hope for the best. She is currently powerless anyway, and she hates it. The only thing she can do is rely to this mystery man's help.

Duke Heroux narrowed his eyes towards Duke Sterling before proceeding with the most important question that will solidify their chance of living.

"Then here is the other question. What he said, is it true?" He slightly paused before continuing "That girl over there is your fianceé?" He said while pointing to Mikasa.

The whole room stayed silent, some looked at Mikasa while some looked at the Duke. They were all anticipating for his answer. Everyone was holding their breaths as if the sound of breathing is the gravest sin you can possibly commit right now. After a few minutes, the Duke replied but not before looking back to where Mikasa stands.

For a brief moment, his eyes locked onto hers. His bright yellow eyes staring directly to her grey ones. It was as if time stopped, different thoughts flooded Mikasa's mind, will he say yes? Will he let them die? Was it the right thing to trust Clyde? They barely met him anyway. Wait what if this was a set up? Or-

Her train of thoughts stopped as she saw how his lips curled into a small smile before saying the words

"Yes. She is."