Chapter 30: The Casualties

Instead of attacking right away the lion-looking creature simply looked at him, blood dripping from its mouth as it has the knights head on it. And then the creature swallowed the head.

Eren stood their frozen. His blood boiling from anger as he was too late. He raised his sword and sprint towards the creature while it licks its feet. He was about to lunge towards the creature but then it slapped him with its tail. The impact sent him flying back near the fortress. Mikasa saw it and quickly run to him.

"Eren!"

"It hurts." Eren thought

Mikasa went to his side trying to tell him not to close his eyes. The others held down the beast, but instead of fighting it they surrounded the creature. The beast remained sitted, not long after it let out a growl.

Sir Michael quickly told the others to retreat, telling them to assist those who are injured and make sure that they get far away as possible. As everyone scurried away the only ones left on the battlefield are Levi, along his squad, Hange, Miche, four people from the Warrior Unit and Sir Michael and his squad.

The beast called for backup. Since a dozen more lion-looking creatures arrived at the battlefield.

"This little shit called for backup." Levi said.

"Your orders sir?" Hange asked a question directed to Sir Michael.

"We fight. Its not like we have a choice. It will be troublesome if it gets past us." He said as he look towards the beasts approaching them.

"Tsk." Levi said.

"Decapitate its head. Thats how its killed." Sir Michael said.

"Have you fought 1st Class beasts before?" Hange inquired.

"I have."

"That's a relief them. We'll just follow your lead."

"Fine. You guys better keep up. Work together, you saw how strong it is despite being along awhile ago." Sir Michael said.

"Yes sir!"

"Eren's awake!" Armin shouted.

"Ugh." Eren groaned as he opens his eyes. As he looked around him, he saw his friends surround his bed, while Mikasa is sitting on a stool near his bed.

"What happened?"

"You were attacked by the 1st Class beast. You were out for the rest of the day." Armin told him.

"How did the battle go?"

Jean asnwered him this time.

"Many were injured."

"I see."

Then the room went silent.

"I didn't knew you guys came here before." Jean said as he looks at the wall.

"Huh?" says Eren.

"Don't huh me. We know what we heard."

"Jean, Eren just woke up. Let him be for awhile, they can answer when they're ready." Marco tried to calm him down. Jean then went outside the room, the others also bid goodnight, telling him to recover quickly leaving Eren, Armin, and Mikasa inside.

"What does Jean mean?" Eren asked.

Armin then began to explain what happened after he fell unconscious.

Flashback

They were able to fend off five beasts while the remaining escaped. The one with the most injuries is surprisingly Sir Michael. As the medic tend to the injured ones Captain Curtis went to see them. He talked for a few minutes with the Vice Commander.

Sir Michael then spoke to him. Sarcastically.

"Look who decided to show up."

Everyone in the room looked towards him.

"You didn't even bother helping us awhile back."

Curtis didn't bother answering and instead bid goodbye to the Vice Commander. Little did he know Sir Michael followed him outside.

"What's your problem?" Sir Michael asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Does seeing my men suffer make you happy?"

"I don't understand what you're trying to say."

"You knew didn't you? That a 1st Class beast would appear!" Sir Michael raised his voice. This was the first time they heard him speak in this tone. And his face now have more emotion.

"How would I know? And if I knew, I would have quickly warned you." Curtis replied, though his face has a scowl, his voice sounded pretty calm.

Due to the commotion a crowd began to form. All they can do though is watch, afraid to get in between the two captains. Armin went outside together with the others.

"You would have been satisfied if we died, stop the act. After all you hate us didn't you?"

Curtis didn't reply.

"See? You absolutely loathe us. Especially me. I was just doing my duty!"

Curtis kept his gaze but didn't reply again.

"So thats how it is huh? You enjoy our suffering since we've taken away your precious commander. He deserved it! He sided with those monsters after all." Michael said.

Curtis got visibly angry from what he said.

"You know what, none of this would have happened if the commander is here. And stop calling them monsters you hypocrite."

Sir Michael then grabbed Curtis' collar.

"Should I tell everyone? They are here you know." He said.

Curtis already knew that and he purposely ignored them.

"Come on, Captain why don't you greet you're old friends? Look at me I got hurt trying to protect my men. And what did you do? You simply watched as that beast knocked the life out of your friend Eren."

Gasps and murmurs filled the air as they heard the words of Sir Michael, some look towards Armin. Suddenly someone stepped in between the two.

"Stop being childish, both of you. Is that how you want to be seen by the people you lead?" Bernard then dispersed the crowd.

Sir Michael let go of Curtis collar and went to his room. But before Curtis had the chance to do the same Armin approached him.

End of flashback

"So you're telling me thet everyone knows that already?" Eren asked.

The two nodded their heads.

Armin told him that they talked to Curtis. But he wasn't that responsive. They found out that after that incident they spent three years on different missions, nothing new. Curtis told them that the Duke was already the commander from the time he went back from his mission with the neighboring territory. Before he bid goodbye Curtis told them that it wasn't their fault and some things are just complicated at the moment.

"He looked sad." Armin said.

"I wish I could have talked to him as well. He probably would have bragged about his position now." Eren said.

"Yeah, and you two would bicker endlessly. You'll ask him for a spar, he'd beat you up and Mikasa would beat him in return. Clyde and I will talk about the books we have read and things we have experienced."

"I was hoping that Curtis would have punched Sir Michael, he hates it when someone talks badly about His Grace afterall. He would always talk about how awesome he is back then." Eren replied.

"He didn't talked about any punishment though." Armin said sadly.

"Curtis said that the Duke is still on a mission right? I wonder what it is." Eren said.

"If they knew were here. Would they come back?" Mikasa quietly said.

They can only look at her not knowing what to answer.