Chapter 17: The Celebration

It was a fine morning. Clyde informed the trio that today marks the 10th year of the current emperor's reign. Emperor Esteban Aelius.

He told them that the celebration lasts for 3 days. The nobles will be busy attending multiple gatherings all throughout the celebration. There will also be visitors coming from other territories that will arrive at the empire to celebrate the anniversary of Emperor Esteban's coronation. It is one of the busiest time of the year, Clyde told them.

He showed the trio the events that will take place for 3 days.

Day 1: Opening Ceremony - Knight Performance

Day 2: Hunting Competition

Day 3: The Grand Banquet

Though they are not going to attend there is no harm in informing them. He even told the trio that they can go visit the plaza, since there will be a lot of food and different activities in it. The House Sterling even gave them pocket money, which cannot be considered pocket money. Who gives 1000 golds coins each as pocket money? Clyde said they can ask for more if they need. How generous of them!

Once the four of them arrived at the plaza, they were met with the bustling streets. Just as Clyde said there are indeed tons of different foods, clothes, accessories, weapons, books and many more to choose from. It was really lively... and noisy.

People kept shouting "LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!"

Mikasa doesn't really like crowded places, with all the noise and people, you could easily get lost. But seeing the faces of Eren and even the inrtoverted Armin filled with excitement she can't help but be intrigued as well as to what this place can offer.

She saw Eren buy a pocket knife. Armin bought a book he didn't found at the library. Is that even possible? Mikasa thought. Though she doesn't really need anything at the moment since all their needs are provided by the Sterlings, Mikasa still joined their shopping.

"What should I buy?" Mikasa muttered to herself.

"What are you thinking of Mikasa?" Clyde asked her.

"Oh. Nothing. Did you buy something yourself?"

"I am yet to buy one. I am still looking for the one I will buy." Clyde responded.

"I see."

"You really don't talk that much." Clyde said with a small smile on his face. "The Duke would be staying at the Imperial Palace for the time being, he has to attend all the events after all." Seeing the puzzled look on the girl's face Clyde added "I just think you should know."

Mikasa nodded. Then realization hit her.

Right. How can she forget? Instead of buying something for herself, she can just buy something for Ethan. She hasn't given him anything as a 'thank you' for what he did for them anyway. But the question is, what is she supposed to buy?

As far as Mikasa can remember with her small talks with Ethan, he doesn't like flashy things. He prefers something that is basic or simple. But what can you give someone who already have everything?

Clyde said to Mikasa that he is going to look for something first, and to meet him after 30 minutes at the fountain on the plaza's center.

"Man, I wish we could watch the hunting competition." Mikasa heard someone said.

"Me as well. I heard that the four dukedoms will participate."

"Really? I wonder which house will win then."

"Probably the House Collins. From what I have heard, there is a genius in that house. He will probably create the best strategy for them to win." someone said.

Another one argued "Are you stupid?! House Sterling will definitely win. They aren't called the Empire's Sword for nothing."

"Well I think both of you are extremely stupid then." another man joined the conversation. "Of course the Wolf, Duke Heroux will win. I feel sorry for the others, but there is no doubt that he will win."

Mikasa kept listening to their words. She knows that Ethan is a knight, but she never really had the chance to see him in action. Never seen him train either, since he has his personal training ground. Completely exclusive for him. If those families will be participating the hunting competition will definitely be fun.

After they met up with Clyde, he asked them if they are ready to go back. Mikasa said she still has something to buy and that she'll be fine on her own, which surprised them since she always goes where they will go.

After bidding goodbye to them Mikasa ventured throughout the plaza, trying to find the right gift to give Ethan. For some reason she likes to give him something that will definitely be useful to him. But sadly there isn't such thing.

After hours of walking from one place to another. Going in and out of several stores Mikasa finally found the perfect gift for him. After paying for the gift she quickly went back to the estate.

A day passed and its time for the hunting competition. Many were anticipating the results of the said event which Mikasa witnessed firsthand yesterday.

The trio spent their day eating, training, reading, and more eating. It was a pretty boring day. Though they were given liberty to go out, Armin said it's better to stay at the estate since it'll be safer for them. Considering how crowded the whole capital will be. Eren was hard to convince though, he kept on insisting to go out until Mikasa knocked the life out of him.

They heard the news of the hunting competition and it seems that the House Sterling came out victorious. According to the reports, the Duke was a force to be reckoned with. He was unstoppable and he definitely stole the show. Duke Heroux, though he lost, was greatly impressed with Ethan's performance, saying that its befitting considering his ancestry, it will be of great disappointment if he didn't inherit the skills of his predecessors.

The only event left was the Grand Banquet. Ethan sent a message informing Clyde that Mikasa doesn't have to attend the banquet, as he would not want to make her uncomfortable. Mikasa thought he will definitely be chewed out by the emperor once again for always evading the invitations given to attend alongside his fianceé.

Mikasa still hasn't gotten the chance to give him her gift. She planned to give it to him the moment he comes back to the estate. Clyde said he will be coming home tonight, which makes it the perfect time to give him her present.