Chapter 9: The Betrothed

Silence.

Met with more silence.

Everyone was too stunned with the sudden revelation. Nobody expected him to answer the question that easily. Both Clyde and Curtis were wide eyed while the latter has his mouth slowly agape. His answer was shocking. But what shocked Curtis the most was the way the Duke said it.

He was standing right beside Mikasa, so he saw the way he smiled at her.  Please don't tell me the Duke has gone completely mad? He thought. It is the only way to describe his mental state right now.

Just the other day a frown was visibly seen in his face as some nobles kept on babbling about how they wish for him to meet their respective daughters. And now what? Now he is smiling to a girl whom he have never met before, claiming that she is indeed his fianceé, following with his twin brother's stupid idea?!

This. is. pure. madness.

No this is definitely not happening!

But sadly it is.

The emperor laughed, and the mood lightened a bit. But he kept on laughing and laughing. His laugh was filled with amusement and a hint of mockery as he wipes the tears that formed in his eyes.

"Now I understand the reason behind your constant rejection to my attempts on finding you a suitable partner. You already found yourself one."

Duke Sterling simply stood still.

"Well, it seems that we have received our answer. Let us put aside this matter and focus on the more important ones at hand." he added.

Duke Heroux replied "As you wish, Your Majesty."

"Thank you Your Majesty. And I apologize Lord Benjamin if my guests have caused you any trouble. I would certainly like to make it up to you." Duke sterling said, though the expression he is making cannot be seen by the others.

"Y-you don't have to Your Grace." Lord Benjamin said nervously. "I a-am perfectly fi-fine as you can see." It looks like he is more afraid to the Duke of House Sterling compared to the emperor.

The three of them were escorted by Clyde and Curtis outside and the two led them to one of the many rooms of the Imperial Palace. As they settled down the maids entered the room carrying some refreshments. Once they are out of earshot Eren spoke.

"I can't believe they bought that."

"Me neither." Armin added.

"You are certainly right about that. How can His Grace possibly agree to all this?" Curtis complained.

"What do we do now?" Armin asked.

Clyde poured himself a tea before answering the question.

"Now we wait."

The news spread like wildfire among the empire.

On one side the nobles were busy talking about how they missed their chance on the young Duke. It was a good opportunity to raise their status, but now this opportunity was taken away by a girl from the Kingdom of Eldia of all places. What a lucky girl!

On the other side The commoners were spreading the story of how a girl with a humble background manage to charm one of the most eligible man in the entire empire. They made their own versions of how the confrontation took place.

There were rumors of how the Duke bravely displayed his love and adoration for the girl as he immediately went to the Imperial Palace to save her from the accusations made by Lord Benjamin.

Some said he beg the emperor to spare the girl and her friends. He was on his knees.

Another dramatic scenario was made saying how he punished the knights for laying even a finger to the girl he oh so loved.

All of the versions were far from the truth.

None came close to how it all happened.

As they waited for the meeting to come to an end Mikasa silently sat by herself on one corner trying to process the events that occured.

Engaged.

She is engaged.

WHAT THE HELL?!