Chapter 31: The Unexpected Crisis

The day after the gang confronted them, they asked some questions and the trio answered to the best of their abilities without saying the full story. They left out the part about Mikasa being in a fake engagement and 'that' incident.

"Wow! That's all I can say." Connie said.

"So you're saying the Duke of House Sterling helped you?" Sasha asked. They nodded.

"He's nice! It sounded like he is a wonderful person." says Krista.

"But why and how?" Ymir questioned. "The story is pretty vague you know."

They all looked expectantly at the trio.

"Its a... complicated." Armin said.

"Come on!" protests came from the gang.

"Is he handsome then?" somebody chimed in. When they looked towards the person speaking it was Petra. News spread quickly.

"I heard that the commander of the 1st Division is you guys' age. His pretty young huh but they said he is extremely skilled. And really nice as well. I wonder if he is as handsome as the Duke of House Collins?"

"Are you on your man-hunting mission again? Look I told you, stop looking for someone else when I-" Oruo bit his tongue.

"Ew. Would you please stop already." Petra said her face filled with disgust.

She then turned her attention back to the trio.

"Come on, spill the beans."

"Well, uh, you see everything you said about him is true." Armin was the one to answer.

Collective ooohs can be heard.

"I wonder if he has already a partner. Though I heard rumors that he is engaged." Petra said.

Mikasa who was eating peacefully by herself began to choke on her food.

"Hey Mikasa, are you okay?" As Petra handed her some water which she gladly accepted.

Eren and Armin looked at her trying to contain their laugh. After Mikasa had recovered Petra continued on what she ways saying.

"If he doesn't have a partner yet, I'll probably try my luck."

Everyone looked at her shocked at her boldness.

"I'm kidding! Besides I heard rumors that the Duke is crazy about his fianceé."

Her statement made a small blush on Mikasa's face. Ethan was definitely crazy, his actions proved that, but thats it. The commoners version of their supposed 'love story' probably exaggerated it. She remembered how the two of them talked about those crazy versions, the way they giggled at the silliness of those people's imaginations and the way he told her that he likes to hear her laugh more often.

They were then interrupted by an announcement that those who are capable of fighting needs to gather immediately.

As they made their way to the fortress they saw Curtis. He told them that he'll be their captain for today since Sir Michael is heavily injured. He then divided them into troops. A mixture of warrior, scout and knight. It is to help them learn how to work together. Curtis appointed Levi, Hange, and two others from the 1st Division to be leaders. After giving more orders he dispatched the team.

As everyone positioned themselves, they all waited for the signal to engage the incoming enemies. But its taking too long.

"Something's wrong." Curtis said "Stay alert."

The signal never came.

Rushing footsteps were heard as they were met by multitudes of 3rd and 2nd class beasts. Though taken by surprise, the troops were able to fend them off immediately with the help of the keen senses of their leaders. Kill after kill. Everyone fought endlessly.

"What great timing!" Jean said annoyed by the numbers of beasts they are currently fighting.

"Stop complaining!" A knight said as he effortlessly sliced the beast's nape.

The horde of beasts kept coming, the fight just began but it felt like they have been fighting forever.

Levi's troop is doing great, no one dared to talk much since the captain would be much more annoyed at them rather than the beasts.

Hange's troop can be seen following their leader run wild at the battlefield.

While the other troops led by knights were doing just as well.

The fight went on for days and they successfully killed all the beasts.

As everyone gathered again for a meeting Hange approached Curtis.

"What do we now, Commander?"

"Oh, I am just a fellow Captain. No need to call me commander." Curtis politely replied.

"I see. Then Captain, what do we do?" Hange said.

"We wait."

"For what exactly?"

"The signal never came remember. It means something disrupted it." Curtis said, there is a serious look on his face.

Hange simply looked at him, urging him to continue.

"The last time it happened, was three years ago."

His statement made everyone pay attention.

"Three years ago? Isn't that the first appearance of the beasts?" Hange replied.

"Yes."

"What happened then?" Hange asked him.

Curtis didn't reply. Instead he looked towards the direction of where the beasts usually appear.

After a few seconds, he finally spoke.

"Go back."

Hange and Levi looked at each other.

"Sorry?" Hange said.

"Bring everyone back to the fortress, you should be safe there. Once you got their immediately look for Vice Commander Bernard, tell him that Captain Curtis needs assistance. Now go." Curtis told her.

Hange didn't need to be told twice. She doesn't know to what extent the danger they could be in, Curtis knows more than she do and right now even if she wanted to stay and help him she has to follow the orders he had given.

"Alright. Stay alive. Everyone were heading back to the fortress at once." Hange shouted.

All the troops started to retreat. Mikasa wanted to stay and help Curtis but was quickly reprimanded by Levi. Curtis obviously didn't asked for anyone else's help aside from Sir Bernard meaning that they'll only get in the way. After they got back to the fortress they can only make out the sight of Curtis standing still, his sword on his right hand.

A few moments passed and Sir Bernard can be seen heading to the battlefield. Then suddenly Sir Michael appeared, he is not wearing his full uniform, his sword nowhere to be found as well. He stood in front of everyone, with Sir Bernard and Curtis in the battlefield he is the one in charge of everyone.

"Attention!" Sir Michael said.

After he got everyone's attention he continued.

"No one is allowed to go past this fortress. No matter what happens. Understood?"

"Yes sir!"

Everyone's attention went back to where Curtis stood with Sir Bernard now on his side.