Chapter 19: The Wish

Back at the throne room Mikasa awaits what Duke Heroux's move will be. As he kept on walking towards her, Mikasa started to feel her body become heavy, she didn't even heard the sound of the door opening as she began to lose her balance but instead of falling on the cold hard floor of the throne room, she fell on a pair of strong arms with a familiar aura, along with a voice saying.

"What do you think you're doing?"

This voice.

He came.

Clyde said he'll be back two days from now, why is he back so soon? He was still wearing his dark blue uniform. Did he rush here? Mikasa tried to get a good look on his face. He's face filled with sweat shines brightly. Looks like she owe him again huh. He held her in his arms and she let her body lean onto him for support. His calm eyes focused on Duke Heroux.

The tension inside the room grew. As the two Duke stare each other down.

"You're here. I suppose you have completed your mission already. To think that you would be able to finish it this quicky. You truly are a gifted one, aren't you?"

"Please answer my question, Duke Heroux."

"Getting impatient are we? Well, your guest turned out to be a feral, Duke Sterling. He attacked several people, among them are two of your men, which are both heavily injured. The council has already made a decision to give them the death penalty. Your thoughts?"

"Them?"

"You heard me correctly. We cannot be sure whether that blonde haired boy and your own fianceé are feral or not. It is better to cut them down before they make things worse for us. Isn't that right, Duke?"

Ethan didn't answer immediately. He have an idea of what had happened based on Clyde's letter, he knew what the council would do as well. It is the very reason why he rushed all the way from the border to the Imperial Palace. It took him just a few hours while usually it would take a whole day.

The stakes right now is higher. He can make an appeal to the Emperor, but it would only save Mikasa and Armin. And he knew oh so well that Mikasa wouldn't allow that to happen. He saw how she stood in front of Duke Heroux, she was badly hurt but still willing to fight. He already played multiple scenarios in his head as he made his way to the palace, he kept wondering what kind of scene awaits him?

He'd be lying if he says that there was never a time when he did not think of the possibility than one of them is a feral. But this wasn't what he expected to come back to.

He spent an entire month at the border negotiating, doing whatever he can to resolve the conflict between the neighboring territory. His days were filled with sleepless nights, loads of meetings, tons of paperwork, and endless trainings. Ethan was looking forward to go back to the estate, where he can finally relax. But fate can be really cruel.

From his peripheral view he can see Mikasa staring at his face. She looks exhausted. Her beautiful hair sticks to her forehead due to sweat, there are blood stains on her clothes, and he can feel how her breathing sounds erratic.

He then made up his mind.

Duke Heroux grinned. He knew that Duke Sterling will surely abide by the rules. Ready to cut down even his own loved ones for the sake of his duty to the empire. Befitting of a true commander. Worthy of the title the Empire's Sword!

Ethan then motioned towards someone to take Mikasa, and much to their surprise it was Curtis, without the usual scowl on his face. He helped her stand and brought her to where Eren and Armin are.

Now all Mikasa can see is Ethan's back turned towards them, just like the first time they met.

Instead of responding to Duke Heroux, Ethan spoke to the Emperor.

"Your Majesty, I believe I haven't used my reward from the hunting competition."

"You haven't". The emperor replied back.

"I wish to use it now."

"What would your wish be?" The emperor asked him.

Ethan's next words replaced the grin on Duke Heroux lips with a scowl.

"I wish for their safe return to the Eldian Kingdom." He firmly said.

There were multiple gasps and murmurs on the throne room.

"I object, Your Majesty!" Duke Heroux exclaimed.

The emperor eyed Ethan intently. Is he serious? He thought

"You know very well what will happen, don't you Duke Sterling?" Emperor Esteban said.

"I do, Your Majesty." Ethan replied.

Mikasa kept her gaze on Ethan. He is using something so precious on them, just so they could they escape, just so they can live. She is beyond grateful, but Mikasa knew that Ethan is risking a lot for them, again. He keeps doing this. He keeps on giving them favors without expecting anything in return, just like the first time he claimed that Mikasa is his fianceé.

"Is your decision final, Duke Sterling?" The emperor asked

"Yes, Your Majesty. I am hoping that it will immediately be granted."

Duke Heroux looked at Ethan.

"Weak" he muttered to himself. This will definitely be your downfall, he thought.

He still wants to retaliate, but he quickly understood why the emperor considered Duke Sterling's request. To tighten his leash on him.

The throne room became silent.

Everyone anticipates what would unfold next.

Then the emperor stood and said in a loud voice.

"With the power bestowed upon me, I, hereby grant the approval of Duke Ethan Sterling's wish for Eren Yeager, Armin Arlert and Mikasa Ackerman's return to the Eldian Kingdom be executed immediately."

There were protests but was quickly dismissed by the emperor himself.

Knights from the 1st Division then entered the throne room, they escorted the trio outside while they received looks of disgust and anger from the people gathered in the throne room.

Mikasa then looked back to where Ethan stood, and she saw him looking at her. He had his usual calm look plastered on his face. They simply held each other's gaze for few seconds before he turned his attention back to the emperor. Mikasa was confused, wasn't he supposed to follow them outside? Why is he still standing there?

And then it hit her.

He stayed because he was about to receive the consequence for his choice.

Mikasa was about to run off to Ethan but then the door closed. Completely shutting her off.

They were quickly led outside where a carriage awaits them and she noticed how she was still being supported by Curtis.

"I won't be accompanying you any further." Curtis said as he helped Mikasa enter the carriage.

So this is it huh? For two years they spent their lives in here and this is how it ends.

"You don't have to worry about anything. His Grace has all of it covered." He said without even looking at them.

"Thank you Curtis. For everything." Armin said "And we're sorry for bringing all this chaos to House Sterling." He added with an apologetic look on his face.

"Yeah, you should be." Curtis replied.

Curtis then closed the carriage's door, and made his way back to the palace.