Chapter 32: The Special Class Beast?

"Is everyone back at the fortress?" Curtis spoke not looking at the person approaching his side.

Sir Bernard draw his sword.

"Yes."

"That's a relief then."

They waited. And waited. A sudden sandstorm began to form, then out of nowhere Curtis was struck on his belly but he was able to withstand the attack. Sir Bernard then swing his sword forward but the creature was able to parry it.

Everyone watching from the fortress tried to take a good look but failed to do so as the sandstorm blocked their view.

Back to the battlefield, Curtis and Sir Bernard were both struggling to see where the creature is, all they can do is be on their guard. They cannot attack it since they may end up attacking each other. They were both trying to sense it but the sandstorm blocks it. The creature was able to land a few more blows on both of them, they wouldn't be able to fight with all this sandstorm, they had to take care of this first. They had to coordinate their attacks if they want to make it out of here alive.

"Feel its presence." Curtis mentally told himself.

The beast is currently attacking Sir Bernard. Though he cannot see it he is doing pretty well. A veteran on the field, he can easily handle himself, he is a bit worried though for Curtis.

He remained on defense trying to read the beasts movements solely from the attacks he is receiving. It doesn't attack consecutively, its attack is pretty simple, it feels repetitive, perhaps it doesn't have a wide range of attacks, its only advantage is the sandstorm blocking their view.

Sir Bernard was struck again by the creature but he easily defended himself, he then heard it screech. The only other person in the battlefield is Curtis, meaning he was able to land a blow on the beast, this is their chance to land multiple blows on it. Sir Bernard quickly swing his sword towards the creature and the two of them synced their attack.

The ones at the fortress kept their eyes trained on the battlefield despite not being able to see anything.

"Shouldn't we provide them backup?" someone shouted.

Suddenly a screech was heard from the battlefield.

"They don't need it." Sir Michael said.

In the battlefield, the two were slashing their swords at the beast. The beast then gave an ear piercing screech before it let out an attack that sent Sir Bernard flying back. The sandstorm then began to dissipitate and everyone finally got a good view of what the battlefield looks like.

They saw Sir Bernard near the fortress, it looked like he was cursing at himself for being caught off guard. Then they all saw the beast.

A serpent-like creature bigger than Sir Bernard can be seen. Majority of its features looks like a serpent, except for its two arms. Near the beast is where Curtis can be seen kneeling, his sword supporting his weight, Sir Bernard saw how the boy coughed up blood, it looks like the beast targeted him knowing that he is weaker. As Sir Bernard rushed to where Curtis is the beast screeched once again and they heard thundering footsteps approaching. The beast called for 2nd class ones.

"We're gonna have to provide them backup." Hange said.

"We would not be doing that." Sir Michael replied.

Mikasa then stepped forward. Armin standing right behind her.

"Sir, with all due respect, please allow me to join the battle."

"No." The man answered.

"Does that mean we're just gonna let the two of them die?"

"The two you are referring to are Vice Commander Bernard and Captain Curtis, I believe they can both handle themselves."

"I am not forgetting that sir. But we can all see the injuries they both have." Mikasa said to him.

Hange spoke again "Let us help Sir Michael."

"No." He firmly said as he turned his attention to them.

Mikasa glares at Sir Michael, while Armin holds her arm.

"They can handle it."

The 2nd class beasts are all running towards their direction.

"You think you can fight?" Sir Bernard asked.

"There's no other option. No need to worry about me, I can handle myself." Curtis replied between coughs.

"Trying to put the tough act, are we? Just don't die, your brother's gonna cry you know." Sir Bernard said.

"Yeah, yeah." Curtis waved his hand as he stands up, he can feel his body is sore all over but he needs to fight.

In addition to the special grade standing before them are the 2nd class beasts approaching them. It will be a lot harder to fight now with all those pesky 2nd class beasts. Curtis readied his sword as he waits to engage in another battle.

"We should go now and help them, the beasts are approaching fast." Jean stated.

"We still have a lot of forces, we can fend those beasts off while they fight the special grade." says Connie.

A knight from the 1st Division spoke.

"It will kill us right away. The reason why they made us stay here is because the fortress has a barrier that can protect us. Besides, you already heard that it was the Vice Commanders order."

Mikasa spoke again to Sir Michael.

"Sir, please allow me to-"

"No. I already made a decision, soldier. Don't provoke me any longer." Sir Michael said as he looked at Mikasa.

Before any of them can speak another word, and before the ones in the battlefield can swing their swords, the beasts started to disintegrate.

"Is it just me or the beasts looks like they are... disappearing?" Connie said.

Sir Michael quickly looked back at the field. The beasts are disintegrating. How? The only ones in their are...? Unless?

Someone can be seen killing the 2nd class beasts at an incredibly fast pace. Curtis tried to look a good look at the person responsible for it but failed to do so, when he heard Sir Bernard laughed.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Curtis looked at him, confused as to why this man is laughing right now.

"What's with the stupid look on your face?" Sir Bernard said "Help has come."

Everyone at the fortress were bewildered. Who is this man? Whoever it is must be incredibly skilled to kill those beasts effortlessly. They saw how the man killed one after another. It seemed to have angered the special grade beast as it began to sprint towards him, but the man swiftly cut the beast down, as if its the most simple thing to do in the world, the man then place his sword back at its sheath.

"Am I late?" the mystery man spoke.

Curtis saw the man standing before him. He grinned as he answered him.

"You're right on time, Your Grace."