Part 43

"Uchiha-san! We received a message from Headquarters!" A shinobi from Iwagakure rushed into Sasuke's tent where his division was set out around him.

"The enemy force is passing through directly under us, deep underground!" The shinobi explained.

Sasuke didn't seem to react as he thought about the enemy. If their sensory shinobi couldn't detect them, then it meant they must not be human. Sasuke thought back to all the Akatsuki members he had seen in the past with Zetsu being the one sticking out in his mind for this kind of trouble.

"Are we still dealing with the reanimated?" Sasuke questioned.

"Hai!" 

"Very well. Send word to Kakashi for reinforcements in that area. Also, send word to the Regiment. Darui will likely encounter the underground targets first. We will go in as the second wave with Gaara, Kankuro, and Kakashi after. Kitsuchi will be our reinforcements should we fail to keep them back. Send word immediately." Although the Uchiha acted as though he were the leader, he knew his sensei would take the same measures.

"Hai!" 

Sasuke remained seated for a moment as he thought about who they'd come across. He wondered about his teammates, Naruto was still preparing for the battle, Sai was with Darui and had encountered the first of the reanimated. Sakura, on the other hand... He wasn't sure what his female teammate was up to but Kakashi had informed Sasuke about her sudden departure. He wondered if he should have sent backup but shook the thought. He knew she could handle herself. 

For now, he had to focus on the war which meant he had to get to a battleground. Sasuke stood up with confidence and gathered a few shinobi before taking his leave toward the reanimated some of his division was dealing with. 

___

Sakura narrowed her eyes at the obvious signs of battle that had taken place. She was behind enemy lines. Far beyond it. She shouldn't be, she was the last line of defense, after all. Sakura knew she had abandoned her post which could lead to the death of many. She had no choice.

Sakura had heard of the scouting team sent into the Mountain's Graveyard with Anko being taken as a hostage. The pinkette was no stranger to losing comrades and killing, especially in a war but she knew what to do in order to get Anko back. She had the skills, knowledge, and stealth to do it. 

Not only was she doing this for Anko but if she could get close enough to the mastermind behind this war, perhaps she could stall him long enough for reinforcements to break through the ranks and find their way to her.

With Naruto away, Sasuke and Kakashi leading divisions, she was the only one with an available schedule to do this.

"Katsuyu, did you find her?" Sakura muttered as she crouched down to look at the miniature version of her slug summoning.

"Hai but we shouldn't be here without backup. It is dangerous" Katsuyu remarked.

Sakura frowned, knowing she was right but it was too late to turn back now.

As fate would have it, bushes to the pinkette's left ruffled. Sakura quickly stood tall before taking a defensive position.

As her breath became shallow with the tension of possibly Madara himself coming out of the bushes, Sakura felt sweat dripping down her forehead. She'd be no match for him alone.

A growl came from the bushes. Not an animal sound but something akin to a beast in pain.

Sakura prepared herself as the enemy rushed out of the bushes and charged at her with incredible speed. The pinkette struggled to keep up as she dodged blow after blow, unable to get a good look at her attacker.