Part 23

Naruto stood atop the cliff of his old training grounds. He eyed the village for a moment, taking in its peaceful state after the attack before turning his back to it and surveying the area.

He could tell a battle took place and from the looks of overturned ground, he determined Sakura had been involved.

He branched out with his chakra, connecting with nature through his newly learned sage mode to feel the residue chakra in the air from the recent battle.

The blonde locked onto the menacing chakra he had felt before. Not just when he was with Hinata but from a long time ago. The churning exams. More specifically, he recognized the chakra belonging to Orochimaru.

Had Orochimaru come back for Sasuke? Was he planning an attack on the village just after its recent attack? Why did he take Sakura?

All these thoughts ran through his mind as he followed the trail without waiting for backup. If he had to, he'd do his best to handle the snake himself.

As Naruto ran through the forest, his thoughts wandered to the tiring journey they'd be on so far. Kakashi had told him about him and Sakura leaving the village without Tsunade's permission and although he hoped Tsunade made a quick recovery, he was relieved that Danzo hadn't found out otherwise they surely would have been treated as rogues.

His thoughts then went to Sasuke. He and his surrogate brother had come so far since their battle. The removal of the curse mark had been painful for the Uchiha and it took some time for him to get back to his old self but the two had a deeper understanding of each other now than they did before. They had vowed to battle all out one day when the right time came.

Naruto had heard that Itachi helped in the battle with Pein and even lost his life for the village. He hoped the older Uchiha would be abstained from his crimes and seen as the hero he truly is.

A twig snapping suddenly brought the blonde from his thoughts as a force knocked into him from the side.

Naruto could do nothing but brace himself as he slammed into a tree.

As he composed himself and wiped the blood from his lips, he glanced up to see the man he was looking for; Orochimaru.

The snake stood with a smirk "I was hoping Sasuke would be the one to rescue his lover but it seems old feelings die hard, don't they Naruto?" He seemingly hissed.

Naruto glared at him as he noticed Sakura's limp body on the ground next to him.

"What do you want?" Naruto snapped as he readied himself for a serious battle.

"How do you think Sasuke will feel when he learns you couldn't save his precious lover?" Orochimaru smirked before pausing "Then again, you'll be dead so maybe he'll want to thank me"

"By what? Giving his body to you?" Naruto growled, he could feel Kurama's anger at the man responding with his own.

"I have other means of attaining his body" The smirk never leaving his lips.

Naruto frowned but tried to calm himself as he realized the opportunity he had. He had told Kakashi that the snake would hold answers to their goal. Specifically to Danzo.

"Orochimaru! Tell me, why haven't you attacked the village? It's in a vulnerable enough state. The new Hokage is a bandaged old man. What have you to lose now" Naruto questioned as if he didn't care about the village but Orochimaru knew better.

Instead of answering, the snake lunged forward with an attack, sending Naruto into a frenzy of acting on defense. He could barely keep up with the Sannin and took more than a few hits.