Part 10

A mouse can be many things in the grand scheme of the world. A scavenger. A brave soul. A pet. Most of all, prey.

A small white mouse rushed across the bark of a broad tree as it tried to outrun the predator of its kind. A snake.

Though a fast little critter, a snake can move faster due to the bigger body it was gifted.

A mouse stood no chance and yet their souls remained ever brave.

As the snake's jaws clamped down on the jugular of the mouse with utmost accuracy, its slithery eyes zeroed in on two figures walking through the woods with no fear.

It hissed at the brave souls and identified the figures as larger than life mice.

Or for its more favourable word: Prey.

"I know what you want to ask" Sasuke Uchiha muttered.

Kakashi didn't say anything and he kept his eyes forward as they walked.

Sasuke glanced at him with a glare "Hn"

Kakashi felt his stare and peered over to his student with a bored look in his eyes "Admit it. You're dying to tell me" The Jounin smirked.

Sasuke's eyes widened as he quickly swivelled back to face the front.

The Uchiha sighed and straightened up "He told me everything" Came the quiet mutter.

Sasuke's glare softened as he thought about his brother "He took me in when I was close to giving up. I got lost in the woods" He said with an embarrassed glare "but then he came and we just...talked"

"You just...talked?" Kakashi repeated as he glanced at Sasuke.

"Hn" The young Jounin had no idea why he was feeling embarrassed. Perhaps because emotions never came easy to the Uchiha clan. Perhaps it was a clan trait.

Even so, as Sasuke peered up to glare at the mocking eyes staring at him, all he found was a closed-eyed smile gently focused in his direction.

"I'm glad"

Sasuke's eyes widened at his Sensei's words. For a reason he could not pinpoint, the Uchiha was surprised.

Kakashi noticed his students reaction "Hm? What's with that look? You didn't think I'd be mad or something did you?" He chuckled as they came to an open clearing. The grass grew shorter than here than the rest of the forest due to the little amount of sunlight it was allowed to feed off during the day.

Most grass types need four to six hours of direct sunlight in order to survive. Grass grown in the shade, however, can still strive as long as it hits the four-hour quota. What's interesting about shaded grass is that any amount of sunlight will do. E.g. the last rays of a sunset shining through the lower parts of the trees, allowing the rays to shine through in a last-ditch effort.

"You know..." Kakashi muttered as he sighed. The silence around them pouring a peaceful atmosphere over them like a veil. "An interesting fact about grass growing in the shade-"

"-Nevermind that."

Out of nowhere, Kakashi flinched as if an invisible arrow shot through him as Sasuke interrupted his moment of serenity and wisdom.

Sasuke closed his eyes in thought before opening them to stare intently at his sensei.

The older Jounin deadpanned at the Uchiha. 'He sure has grown more...straightforward' Kakashi thought to himself.

"Itachi's records were planted." Sasuke stated as he turned fully to face his sensei.

Kakashi hummed as he walked further into the clearing "Is that so?" He mumbled, more to himself than to the Uchiha.