Part 4

It was a cold night in the desert village. When the sun practically scorched the earth covered in sand, the night sky froze anything within its shadows.

Gaara stood in his office, watching over his sleeping village. Though he could not find the same peace mostly due to the one-tailed beast within him but also due to worry. Concern. Fear.

He was strong, he was sure of it but when a target is placed on your back and even the neighboring village sends their deadliest unit to help. One can't help but feel nervous.

"Gaara" A soft husky voice called from the shadows of the night.

Startled, the Kazekage turned to see no one in his office. His heartbeat against his chest as he searched the darkness and felt for chakra signals but none came.

A hand suddenly grasped his shoulder before his sand even had a chance to realize and he spun around to come face to face with the culprit sitting casually on his window sill.

"Naruto"  The redhead breathed out, his shoulders sagging with relief.

"Hm? Did I scare you?" The blonde smirked playfully as he pushed himself off the window sill and onto his feet. He stood before the Kazekage at the same height but somehow with more superiority. 

Gaara shook his head "It's good to see you, I received word from your Hokage that you'd be arriving but no one knew when" He said, his figure straight and calm now that he realized there was no threat.

Naruto glanced around the room with a bored expression "You can blame Pervy-Sage for that. The guy can sniff out a brothel in the next village" He rolled his eyes as he walked around Gaara and to the front of his desk, a sign of respect to the Kazekage.

"Nevertheless. You're here and so are your teammates" Gaara commented as he followed Naruto's every move.

The blonde paused in his exploration of the office "Sasuke and Sakura?" He questioned softly.

Gaara gave a nod "Hai, though it seems your team has expanded" 

Naruto shot Gaara a confused look, clearly indicating he had no knowledge of more teammates.

Gaara hesitated to say anything as he knew how close the original group were but it was inevitable "You have a new Captain and a new team member"

A moment of silence passed as Naruto took in this information with a frown "I see." 

"I have a question" Gaara suddenly announced as his eyes zeroed in on Naruto's laid back expression. The blonde said nothing and simply waited for him to continue.

"I have received reports about disturbances at the outpost between Suna and Konoha. I don't suppose you know anything about this?" Gaara questioned, his eyes held no accusatory glances nor did his tone have any malice. 

Naruto studied the redhead for a moment before sighing "I admit. I may have caused some of those" He admitted as he stood a little straighter in front of the Kazekage.

Gaara studied him as well "Why?"

Naruto looked the boy in the eye "To gather information... On Kakashi Hatake" 

Gaara took in his words with a heavy heart. He had heard the news of the wolf of Konoha going missing three years ago and he most certainly remembered the bond the team had before he left Konoha the last time.

"I see" Was all he could say.

Naruto intensely eyed the redhead as Gaara looked down in thought. Slowly, he glanced up at the blonde who stared right back "Get some rest, Naruto" Gaara muttered with a nod, silently assuring him that he'd let the matter pass.